1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hondo's Town Hall columnists...what a crew...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If this place has you so pissed off, either take a break or ignore these threads; they usually announce themselves pretty prominently. And I've found this one to be more funny than vitriolic.

And I'm at work; I'll take a diet cola.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I read the site every day because it has a good collection of conservative columnists that I respect and who I want to read: George Will, John Leo, Jeff Jacoby, William F. Buckley, Jonah Goldberg, Charles Krauthammer and Thomas Sowell. I don't have a ton of respect for Bob Novak, but I think his "notes" column is a good read for political junkies. Cal Thomas is respectful, at times is interesting and is intellectually honest, so I read him too. That said, many of the remaining columnists are absolute loons. Doug Giles is what would happen if you tortured Rick Reilly's metaphors, added a dose of bad talk show host in your face preening, a dollop of latent homosexual tendencies and slandered God by having this concoction write columns in his name. I use the site because all of those quality columnists are featured there. But oftentimes, I feel like taking a shower afterwards.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You see, hondo. It can be done.

Pope reads that site, acknowledges its flaws, and moves on.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'll second Dools on this one.

But I do want a beer, damn it. A cold one. One so cold there are little ice crystals floating in it.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jeebus, Pope, I hadn't even heard of this guy.

Doug Giles (from a SIX-part series titled "How to raise a boy the feminists will hate"

Parent, if you have a young son and you want him to grow up to be a man, then you need to keep him away from pop culture, public school and a lot of Nancy Boy churches. If metrosexual pop culture, feminized public schools and the effeminate branches of evanjellycalism lay their sissy hands on him, you can kiss his masculinity good-bye—because they will morph him into a dandy.

Yeah, mom and dad, if . . . if . . . you dare to raise your boy as a classic boy in this castrated epoch, then you’ve got a task that’s more difficult than getting a drunk Ted Kennedy to hit the urinal at Chili’s.

Get it right, mom and dad—you are rowing against the flotsam and jetsam of Sally River. I hope you have a sturdy ideological paddle and some serious forearms, because postmodernism is determined to keep your boy and his testosterone at bay. Yes, they will attempt at every turn to either drill it or drug it out of him.

Parent, if you’re groping for a creedal oar to help you stem the increasingly stem-less effete environment, I’ve got a novel idea: Howzabout going back to the Bible, in particular the book of Genesis, and see what God the Father created His initial kid to be. Check this out.

He then quotes scripture.

Jesus Wept.

6. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

gotcha, Dools, and I'm not pissed off. I'm just pissed, in the British sense. I believe all of my posts have come in this manner. That said, I am SportsJournalists.com's new resident drunk (on some days). But alas, I am not a newb. Been here, done that before. I will, however, oblige your Diet Coke request.

And Dooley, I have a new book out. Keep an eye out for it. It's called "DO YOUR JOB!".  ;D

But seriously, can we edit the initial post on this thread to add a poll?..."Hondo's Town Hall columnists" thread...relevant, or not? This is kind of dumb.

EDIT: Inky, catch me tomorrow, all I got is diet coke.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If you read his stuff for any length of time, you quickly get a portrait of a man who reeeallllllyyyy over-compensates on his masculinity. I wonder if it is because he goes to bed at night wondering what it would be like to lick a salty cock.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nothing excuses the horrible phonetic spelling, nor the absolutely leaden imagery.

That said, he's compensating for something.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And everybody knows Ted Kennedy doesn't hang out at Chili's.

Draft saved Draft deleted