1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trunks, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trunks

Trunks New Member

Please try to understand my point of view when approaching this subject. I'm not out to offend anybody, to make them feel bad, or to bully them, I'm simply trying to understand.

In recent years the "gay rights movement" as it is termed has made significant leaps and bounds toward their ultimate stated goal of equality.

I don't understand this movement though. People seem to be absolutely celebratory about the gay lifestyle, you don't see people get as passionate about pretty much anything else. Why is this worth celebrating? Seems a little over the top to me. I'm acquainted with people (through philosophy class in college) that actually go out and try to convince others that they are gay (I guess they believe everyone should be gay, I don't know). I'm too afraid to ask one of these people what they think would happen if everyone was gay, I feel as if they haven't even considered it. (yeah, extinction)

I've heard all the arguments about how it's "natural" because animals do it. But animals also eat their young, kill one another, and are pretty violent in every sense of the word. Does the fact that violence is natural make it good? Do we celebrate violence? Just because desires for violence and aggression are natural doesn't make them a good thing. (doesn't even matter if it's genetic or not) I'd also like to make the note that we as the human race should be regarded as higher than animals, for we are not animals (though we may act as if we are at times), our free will places us higher than any other living thing.

In the case of homosexuality you can look at the anatomy of the male and female and pretty easily come to the conclusion that heterosexuality is how they were designed. I feel as if it's obvious, but I understand that others do not share this perspective.

I was raised in a strong Christian home and accept Jesus as LORD, so when dealing with issues like this I go to the word of God to try and understand. This is what I see there.

Romans 1:26-28

So coming from a Christian perspective you can understand why I believe what I do. I know some people could say "I won't ever believe in God because of verses like that, Christians are so intolerant." I have to ask the question though, is it really intolerance when it's literally in our doctrine?

I'm trying to be as non abrasive as possible, but I just don't get it. (please forgive me if I have offended you, once again, that is not my intent I only seek understanding)

Why is homosexuality celebrated?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What's up dog?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's all about the parades.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

And a good writer, which is rare around here.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

First, how the fuck is this news or sports.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It's not.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

lockdown in 3....2.......1......

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the "celebration" aspect is aimed at overcoming the longtime "stigma" of being gay. Being gay was once seen as so shameful that people in power would rather turn against their own country out of fear of being outed. People have been comfortable mocking gay people, entertainers have made careers out of stereotyping gays for laughs, for decades.
    Many in society want to let people know that they will support people being comfortable being who they are.
    As for people's faith? Live the way you want to live. It's your faith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.