1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homicide: Life In The Newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

His failures -- Blair, Augusta, Wen Ho Lee, Judy Miller, Whitewater -- were large. There is no denying that at all.

But the 9/11 stuff was truly inspiring.

I'll split the difference between the two of you on Raines.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Fair enough, DD. But the thing is, on Wen Ho Lee and Whitewater, he was editorial page editor, not editor.

3. I'm still trying to figure out how investigative journalism -- whether it wins awards or not -- is a bad thing, and how its two poles became defined by Mcalary's Louima stuff and Howell Raines vs. August National.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you want to read a newspaper whose mandate is advocacy journalism, have a look at the Toronto Star sometime. For 115 years it has dealt seriously on every social issue imaginable--from poverty to city planning to immigration to health care and on and on and on.

It also has the largest newspaper circulation in the country.

There's even a Atkinson Fellowship in Public Policy, supported by the Atkinson Foundation and the Toronto Star, providing a grant for a Canadian journalist to undertake a year-long research project on a topical policy issue. Joseph Atkinson was the original editor of the Toronto Star and became a majority owner.

And the Globe & Mail runs long serious investigative pieces in the Saturday paper routinely.

I'm a reader and THAT'S what I want.

I get my "news" from the internets.

Draft saved Draft deleted