1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hometown race tracks and sponsorships

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Jul 14, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

For those of you who cover the local racing scene at your shop (i.e. the county dirt track, etc.), how do you handle all of the sponsorships attached to everything. For instance, every press release I get from our local track tags sponsorships on everything (Bill's Shoe Shop Victory Lane, the Pizza Palace Pole Position, etc.). Even each division of racing has a sponsor (the Waffle Shoppe Super Late Models or whatever).

Do you leave the sponsorships in or not? I tend to say not but wondering what others do ...

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Leave out as many as you possibly can. It's not your job to peddle their wares. I'd make an exception if something is recognized more by the product name than by the "real" name. But 9 times out of 10 you're probably safe playing it straight. And drivers/tracks will hopefully be OK with it if you treat everyone the same.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You just got to use your best judgment. It's pretty easy to say Billy Bob Racer won the pole position and leave out the Pizza Palace. It's harder when you want to say Billy Bob leads the Dodge Weekly Series standings.

Draft saved Draft deleted