1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homerism a cancer to our industry?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Jan 7, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No, EStreet, it's about this ad on the jobs board:

2. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

that was a solid column, and very necessary for a game that ended like that.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Revo.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think this only pertains to columns, whether regular or beat columns. There are homers in this industry, I had the experience of working with one in the past. But I think it is possible to be what I would call an "objective fan." By that I mean the columnist writes what he or she makes of the situation.

I think this a good column that points out that the Cowboys shot themselves in the foot rather than the Seahawks shooting them, but I'm sure that if the game had gone differently and the Seahawks had blown out the 'Boys, the column would have been different.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That's not untrue, but there's still a context here that too frequently is negative, something papers do because they want to show how "objective" they are or because they're flat sick of the team or people they're covering.
    Consider that when Cowher retired last week, the Pittsburgh PG ran a sider of "15 games that defined the Cowher era." The team won a Super Bowl and made six AFC title games -- and yet eight of the 15 games cited were defeats.
    Seriously?
    Defeat defines the Cowher era?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Defeats tend to resonate more than victories.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, I think that was a miscalculation on the PG's part which they wouldn't do again if someone had stepped back and looked at it beforehand.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You're wrong. The PG has been trashing Cowher and Jerome Bettis for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted