1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homer refs at the Swamp?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportsguydave, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That line is precise.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I don't buy the conspiracy theories. Except those "debris cautions" in NASCAR. I think it's a fast-paced sport where you expect men who put their pants on one leg at a time to make snap judgement calls. Sometimes they don't make the right call. It's called the human factor.

But in the case of those bone-headed excessive celebration penalties in the UGA-LSU game, that was just incompetence. That phantom personal foul call late on Florida's drive? The same. Pure blithering incompetence.

The SEC needs new officials and has needed them for many years. It's amazing that the richest conference in all the land has the worst damned officials of any conference. Pay 'em what they're worth, find some refs from the midwest or California with no proverbial dog in the hunt and be done with it. That'd shut up the conspiracy nuts.

3. meyerf55

meyerf55 New Member

I don't think the refs are homers,but they do get their marching orders from Slive. The SEC has engaged in title fixing for a long time. Just look to the alabama/ bryant days when the tide was not allowed to lose in the sec for for years. Bobby Gaston is criminal as he worked for the Bear on and off the field. SEC refs ARE the worst because in a game of cosequence they dictate the outcome. They have for years. The only way to stop this is let Slive know you are watching his unethical behavior. Take banners to the games and post the refs who make calls that are obviously wrong. The personal foul on the arkansas defender was absurd but this ref 20 yds away made the call with impunity. The ref who was right on top of it ignored it. Alabama holds every play and that is good football. The refs are intimidated not to make the call, but they sure called LSU offside every play. I could go on all night, but.......

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

While I sympathize with Arkansas fans, I think Georgia has a bigger beef with that terrible crew.

The excessive celebration penalty on Green changed the entire game.

Arkansas really still should have won despite a few questionable calls.

Speaking of bad calls, this was not a banner performance from Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson, who remains a bit too critical in situations when he doesn't have to be.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Another classy reply. Expected nothing less.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The refs did a shitty job protecting Florida if Arkansas was one play away from winning at The Swamp. They should have thrown a holding flag on that long TD pass or something to really insure a Gators' win.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, you can't be too obvious.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's very easy to claim and smacks of some deep-seated bitterness you have against a kid who's done nothing except win some football games, make the honor roll and not get into any off-field trouble. It would be nice if you could prove it, but you can't.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

According to who? The TV guys? Didn't know their technology was infallible. I'll remember that the next time there's a guy running 40 yards downfield while their cameras are still focused on the dive back laying on the ground under a dog pile.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Auburn. 2004. 13-0. Still waiting for the "free pass" into the title game.

Or does the "free pass" equation only work if there are 3 one-loss teams, but not 3 unbeaten teams?

Re: the first down line. Should be pretty simple to check. It has been darn near infallible as far as I'm concerned. But in the UF game did they call for a measurement? If so, then the yellow line is obviously wrong. If no measurement was called for, then the refs screwed up big time. And Arkansas screwed up for not demanding one.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Auburn in 2004 was the exception. It's just like Penn State in 1994 where a team did everything right, but got screwed because another team was just too dominant.

How many times has a team run the table in SEC play? I'd be surprised if it's happened more than 2-3 times since the conference expanded to 12 teams.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It took THAT much just to keep Florida IN the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted