1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homeowner's Associations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A year - one time every 12 months.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Upper deck all of 'em. Bet that's not in the bylaws.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do you have pictures of the HOA president or something?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It used to be 50 and then they jacked it all the way to 65. Their "participation level" went down from about 98 percent to about 70. It's required but they're basically toothless. I pay just because but I'm really not sure why or what they do with it.

5. JackReacher

You must like throwing away money.

[cheap Nats joke that doesn't make much sense since I have tickets, too.]

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why even bother with an HOA at all?

I'm sure that gets you nothing.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The best way to deal with an HOA is to never live in a neighborhood that has an HOA. Country livin' has its perks.

Of course I'm the guy who had a rattlesnake in his kitchen a couple of years ago so there are some tradeoffs.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

It is impossible to find a condo without an HOA, which pays pool, clubhouse, grounds fees and often includes cable.. and really difficult to even find a house in a neighborhood without one.. at least in Fla., because all the neighborhoods are developments that sprung from one developer. The condo thing though, that's just what it is. You get the pool and the weight room, but you pay a fee to help take care of it.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The job of an HOA (as I understand it) is to keep the value of everyone's property as high as possible. Since everyone lives so close together, what one person does on their property can affect your property's value.

For example, if you share a fence with a property and your side doors are 60 feet apart, do you want them raising coon hounds as a side job? Do you want them opening up an oil changing business or a day care? No. The HOA should protect against this.

It also should protect the upkeep of a building. If there are broken windows or cars with flat tires in front of the house, it does hurt your property's value.

Do white windows? Probably not, but that is where they have drawn the line.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Holy shit, if I found a rattlesnake in my house I'd have to be institutionalized. Or at least move immediately.

11. JackReacher

We rent a condo, and the owner said the HOA prez or whatever lives upstairs on the third floor, right above our condo. Never heard anyone blast the stereo any louder than she does.

I often feel like saying something to her, but now I'm afraid I'll be fined. :)

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Keep in mind there are different kinds of associations that cover different things.

For instance - the association I live in is pretty large roughly 350-400 townhomes and condos spread across seven blocks. The townhomes are shared walls (roughly 8 to a building). There's a swimming pool, the association is responsible for the roofs, the siding, all of the yards/trees/plants, plowing all the streets and clearing everyone's driveways and sidewalks, replacing the townhome driveways as needed, replacing the deck (owner is responsible for powerwashing and staining it every two years), etc. So the $287 monthly maintainance for townhome owners (condo owners pay less because of no driveway, no wood deck (just a small balcony), covers a lot.

The association a couple of blocks over has dues that are significantly less, but the unit owners are responsible for the entire exterior of their home (the roof, the siding, the driveway, the lawn, etc.) and I forget what's included in the association fee. But looking at each property there, alot of owners let their properties go to shit.

I don't mind paying the extra knowing I don't have to worry about mowing the yard, replacing the roof or wood siding, shoveling/plowing snow, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted