1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homeowner's Associations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Apr 30, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Last year I was elected to the HOA board of the townhouse complex I live in. I also served a term on the board of the last condo complex I lived in.

Every association differs as to what they'll approve in terms of replacement windows, but every association insists on approving the windows before they're installed, even if they're on the association's approved list.

The last one I lived in all you had to do was match the number of grids on the window or sliding door and you were good to go and white was fine because the buildings were all either grey siding or brick-face.

The current association I live in has wood buildings that are painted a dark brown and has very few windows on the "approved list" as the grids and frame have to match the dark brown of the building. There's six or eight aluminum-clad frames and only two vinyl windows that are approved. I raised the point that we should look at more vinyl windows to give the residents a wider choice. I was immediately told that they looked at a number of vinyl windows but the only two they have on the approved list were the ones that met the "architectual standards" to keep the complex looking good and the values up. If you install windows without prior approval or windows not on the approved list the board has the power to make you pay to take the windows out, get new windows approved and then the new windows installed all on your dime. (As far as I know bagelchick doesn't live in my complex)

The board was out of line for saying what you did was so bad, but when you move into a HOA you know that you have to abide by the rules and one of the rules is to get approval before replacing windows, doors, etc.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

You guys are right. I certainly did not mean to shirk responsibility. We did fail to file the proper paperwork beforehand; I should've mentioned that before and I'm sorry I did not. We absolutely fell short in that regard. We're going to get them painted at some point, so they meet the proper criteria. But I do resent being compared to a criminal by the president. And I do resent being treated like a 10-year old from some guy who, ostensibly, has customer service as an element of his job.

Our other beef is that there is no consistency in enforcement. We have a like-minded neighbor who offered to go around with us and document all of the windows that don't match their code. We are far from the only ones.

And I've gotten three different stories on what our next step is. When the guy initially called me, it was that the HOA was 'ordering' us to replace the windows. When we get the official letter, it says we need only submit an application which was included (but there was no application, just the letter and a return envelope). When I call back for clarification, I'm told that the application that we didn't receive is for our new windows.

In a newsletter from a month or two ago, they reminded us that leaving garbage cans out is against HOA rules. We have two neighbors across from us who leave them out 24-7, two feet from being inside their garage. In that same newsletter, we found out the HOA had a Welcoming Committee - the first we'd heard of such a thing, 11 months after moving in. This newsletter also told us that the landscaping company we hired (at $22,000 a year!) periodically puts down pest controls near trees, yet we've had continuous infestations around the public areas of our property (ant colonies in the front and back; termites that, we were told, came from a nearby tree). And I can count on two hands the number of times I've seen these guys.

At this meeting last night, there were proposals to get dying trees removed. Apparently even for $22K, the landscaping company doesn't do trees. Only two bids were submitted, and one of those was not very credible. They bantered about whether to drop $6K for a sprinkler system to public areas... for something we'd use maybe six months out of the year.

We pay $1,000 a year to these people. And this is what we get in return?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration, Hustle, but I'd shy away from the window-documenting thing. That'll only make things worse, and make the rest of the neighbors mad. And when that happens, not much good comes from it.

Don't take this the wrong way (I'm not trying to be snarky, here), but just suck it up, paint the windows and let bygones be bygones. Just make sure you've got everything documented next time, follow the covenant rules and next time you do something you won't have anything to worry about.

However, I would note my frustration in the way the violations are enforced in regards to things like the trash cans, others' windows and the pest control folks.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

1000 a year?
    Damn. I pay 65. Of course, I have no clue where that goes but it's only 65.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

You only pay a grand a YEAR, Hustle? Can I live where you are?

My HOA's management rep sucks donkey balls. Actually, the entire HOA sucks donkey balls.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In our HOA we have common grounds landscaping, walking paths, pool (two) and the clubhouse which has a great room that can be rented out and a person there about 50 hours a week for questions . There is a workout room as well.

Garbage is extra, though.

We also are getting curbside recycling for $20 bucks a year starting in July. Yes, Moddy, my subdivision was on NBC12 last night.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

HOAs suck, but once you sign, you've said you'll abide by the bylaws. Our HOA is empowered to fine people (for certain things).. I know at one point they put a lien on someone's house for non-payment of fees.. like 5,6 year's worth of not paying.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Is $1,000 a year high or low?

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

That's good. It's $250 a quarter, which is about what we pay.. Many places have fees $300, $400 or $500 a MONTH!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Depends on what the community has.

$1,000 might a little on the high side. Just a little, though. I think we pay $1,000 a year at my house. The TH I own and rent out is $66 a month.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It depends on what they cover. When I had a condo -- like 20 years ago -- I paid over $100 a month. It started at $42 when I first bought it and went up every year I owned the place, which was maybe seven. I can't imagine what they're paying now.

But look at those bylaws carefully.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

$65 a year? Or a month?

Draft saved Draft deleted