1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homeless. Why not live in a warm city?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Jan 14, 2019.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Now reaching the obligatory news stories about the homeless and surviving the winter.

A bus ticket from anywhere it’s freezing to San Diego or Miami can’t be more than $100. That’s two days of good begging at a traffic light.

If you’re going to be homeless, why not in a warm climate? The overhead is the damn same.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not_Sure_If_Serious.jpg

exmediahack likes this.
  3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

According to one chart I found through Google, San Diego city and county are the fourth most homelessly populated places in America. LA is the second.

So, you might argue that some people have already had this idea. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to much of a pattern here. New York and Seattle are also in the top four.

Infographic: The U.S. Cities With The Most Homeless People

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was walking to the train a short time ago and saw someone trying to sleep on a grate in the city. Really shook me up because I'm basically helpless to do anything about it. A couple of years ago, also during a cold snap, I was walking to Port Authority and saw a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk with no shoes. He told me his shoes had been stolen. I walked another couple of blocks to a Foot Locker, told the manager what I wanted and he gave me a decent pair of Nikes for 50 percent off. I took them back and the guy started crying. Said it was his birthday and it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for him. Wasn't a line he was using because I'd already done something for him. I felt awful that I couldn't do more.

In short, I don't think it is as easy as saying, "Fuck this, I gotta go where it's warm."

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Did you ask him his size ahead of time or just guess?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, I asked him. My guess was he was close to my size, I was going to go home and grab some of my shoes and bring them back. But he was a size smaller so I went to Foot Locker.

I talked to him for a bit, offered to go get him some food but someone had bought him some a bit earlier.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It's not that they choose a warm city. They just wander around until they run out of land and are at the beach. There's nowhere else to go.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Don't visit NYC as much as I used to, but one buddy used to say something similar to the op. We would wonder how
    people survived. Many would go to a subway station, but some would sleep on the sidewalk in brutal cold temperatures.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My cousin's husband is a minister in Orange County and he has done some work with the homeless in San Diego. I told him homelessness here in Toronto is an industry and as tough as sleeping rough would be in San Diego or Miami or anywhere warm, it is brutal here in Toronto in the winter. When I would work nights last winter I would leave the office at 1:15, 2:15 a.m. to walk to the bus terminal up the street and pass people freezing on the street and many others huddled up under a bridge and when we get cold-weather alerts like we had last week you wonder what happens to them. I would pass one older guy who would get his sleeping bag out, use his backpack for a pillow and appear to be fast asleep despite the racket of cars, buses, trucks and trains passing by. I see him sometimes during the day in the train station in line to get coffee at McDonald's.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

In Boston there are outreach programs run on the coldest of nights. People go around in vans offering the homeless rides to shelters or anyplace else warm. Every time I hear a radio report on these programs, the reporter always mentions that people refuse the help. Some people don't want to go to shelters even in the most extreme circumstances. Mental health/addiction is awful.

OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Same thing here in Toronto. Walking to the bus on the way home on bitterly cold nights I would often see cops talking to those bundled up on the sidewalk, not rousting them but trying to see if they can help.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There was a two-week stretch here early last year where the high didn’t get over 30 (-1C for our Canadian friends). Those nights were brutally cold and I can only imagine the hell it was for those people who chose to stay outside.

The past couple years people (tourists/the heartless) have been upset that the homeless now spend all day on the Common. They used to panhandle downtown, but now that it’s been revived not so much. How dare these people be in a spot where everyone can see them.

Draft saved Draft deleted