1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homeland (not the grocery store)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt Stephens, Aug 18, 2011.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Excellent NY Times story on the show and the build-up to the finale..
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/arts/television/showtimes-homeland-must-find-balance-in-season-finale.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

So what did people think of the finale, and what do you think we should expect from next season?

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I liked it. You knew going in that he wouldn't set off the vest because he's too valuable of a character. Now he's a mole and the only one who knows it has electroshock blues and is out of the loop professionally.

Makes for an interesting storyline to start Season 2.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I liked a lot as an episode and as a set up for Season 2.

I didn't love it as a season finale because it was one plot contrivence too many for me -- the idea that they knew that he would be in the bunker and would get past security because of the emergency was too perfect, the vest not working, the fact that Walker wouldn't have gotten out of town, the cell phone call in the bunker reaching Brody.

But in the moment -- it was wonderful drama.

5. EStreetJoe

It was a very satisfying season finale, a great episode and a solid setup for Season 2.

To me those weren't contrivances they were simply part of the storyline...
    - knowing he'd get past security due to the emergency was due to intelligence provided by whomever the mole was. Abu-Nazir knew if a shot was taken at the VP, everyone in the party would be rushed into the bunker without going through security
    - the vest not working... you knew there was going to be a malfunction because they wouldn't have had it go off that early in the episode and they need Brody alive for Season 2
    - Walker not getting out of town was believable in a two-fold method.. Part A - have him be the one that leaks Brody's video to the media and Part B- as a failsafe to eliminate Brody incase Brody got cold feet
    - the call reaching Brody in the bunker was via a Secret Service phone, which is designed to work in the bunker for better communications with the outside world

6. BrianGriffin

I'm wondering if Abu-Nazir could have been so cold as build the relationship between Brody and his son so that when his son was killed - something he would arrange - that Brody would become motivated into action.

Besides, what's the point of this POW as an English Language tutor? Obviously, they wanted something out of him other than teaching a kid English.

7. EStreetJoe

Excellent points.
    In that video they showed in the season finale they talked about the drone strike and the kids being the collateral damage because Nazir was hiding out next to the school.
    So could having Brody tutor the kid to get close to him have been a ploy like you said, to get Brody into action, because he knew the school was going to get bombed sooner or later because he was hiding out next to it.

8. Webster

When I watched that episode, it seemed like the boy was not his son and the whole thing smelled fishy. However, if the theory is that Abu-Nazir went into mourning, it would make sense that at least one of his actual children did die. Maybe not Issa

It strains credulity a bit to know that Issa would be killed in the strike and adults like Brody and Abu-Nazir would not be harmed.

I did like the back story that David worked for Saul only a couple of years ago and jumped him on the CIA ladder.

9. BrianGriffin

Maybe Saul can retroactively fire him, ha.

I don't recall affection between Abu Nassir and Issa.

They do a good job of raising questions that remain unanswered. They have a lot of directions that can go from a writing standpoint in several of the subplots.

10. Webster

Did Saul mention Issa's name to Carrie? I don't remember and if not, then it really was his kid, because how else would Carrie know who Issa was?

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

All I can remember for sure is when Brody and Carrie were in the cabin together, he had a violent dream where he yelled Issa's name repeatedly. Carrie woke him up and asked him who Issa was; Brody of course didn't say.

It's entirely possible that the CIA would have intelligence that Nazir had a son named Issa I would expect...maybe that's how she put it together...

12. Webster

That's what I assume -- but if Saul didn't mention the name, then at least we know it was the name of Abu-Nazir's youngest.

Draft saved Draft deleted