1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homeade burger recipes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Aug 3, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Mix ground beef with crumbled, cooked bacon, grated cheddar cheese, Dale's, cracked black pepper, sea salt and a couple dashes of hot pepper sauce.
    You want to have enough cheese and bacon that you can see it in the meat. So roughly a quarter to half cup of each for every pound of meat.
    If you want a rare burger, chill the formed patties, if you prefer a more medium burger, get the patties to room temp before you cook them and make a big thick patty. It should be close to half a pound of meat and fixings.
    Get the pan really hot, and sear one side, while that is going on, toss in some chopped onion and minced garlic. Let the grease from the burger cook the onion and garlic.
    When you flip the patties, turn the heat down to low and cover the pan.
    Do not and I mean do not press the patties down in the pan.
    Toast the buns under the broiler and make up some condiments based on your preference.
    Maybe ketchup with hot pepper sauce or miracle whip with ketchup and relish.

Another trick is to take the square block of beef that you can get in the store, and pop it in the freezer. Get it cold, almost to the point of frozen. Cut the block into three even slices.
    Crack black pepper onto a plate and add sea salt. Press the meat so it goes from being a rectangle to a circle on the plate of spices. It will also form a crust.
    Get pan really hot and melt butter and add some olive oil. That will keep the butter from burning. Then sear both sides, by having the meat chilled, it will make for a really rare burger. And by rare, I mean raw on the inside.
    Delish.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3 points AND a foul!

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'll have one on speed dial before I pop in and have one of your famous burgers. But the recipe itself looks uber tasty.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

A_B...

my receipe is very similar to yours, but I never thought about putting bacon and/or cheese in with the mix before hand. Makes sense, though.

And sure it's closer to a meatloaf, but either way, it's damn tasty.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Pomade? I'm a Dapper Dan man, myself.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's twice today that you have melted me with your words.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bingo.

We have a winner.

Add all the hot sauce, Lea & Perrins, garlic powder, cheese, steak sauce etc you want but your burger from grocery store ground beef won't even come close to the taste of a burger made from the best quality beef.

Second best is having your local butcher grind a combination of chuck & sirloin. Chuck for the fat content and sirloin for the flavour. Top round will work instead of chuck.

Last resort is packaged ground beef which unfortunately is the only stuff a lot of people have access to. Buy nothing leaner than medium and make a mixture of 1/3 ground pork to 2/3 ground beef.

Best burgers though are lamb burgers. Yum. The nice thing about lamb is that because it's not as popular as beef, pork or poultry, it's less processed and was likely raised without the benefit of antibiotics or hormones.

A little Tzatziki and lettuce and that's all you need.

8. DwightKSchrute

DwightKSchrute New Member

There's a meat market near where we used to live that sold "Bacon Burger", which was 60 percent ground sirloin and 40 percent ground double-smoked bacon, all ground together. That stuff is incredible, grilled until medium and then topped with a spicy BBQ sauce and a thick hunk of cheddar.

Easily the best burger I've ever had.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I really need to try a burger with bacon cooked in it. Sounds delicious.

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Bingo. I mix diced onion and jalapeno with my meat, and I never use anything less than 85 percent lean. I dump some garlic salt, honey and worcestershire sauce and a few squirts of Tabasco. Then I stuff the burgers with cheese. I prefer feta, but whatever works. Pepper jack is good, too. I like Sweet Baby Ray's sauce and mushroom on mine. I also add an extra piece of cheese on top. I prefer to experiment with my toppings.

Draft saved Draft deleted