1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homeade burger recipes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Someone at this number paged me? :)

My secret is to put much of the stuff people put on a burger in the burger. I don't know the exact amounts per pound -- I just sort of eyeball it -- but this would have been what was in the burgers for the outing:

* Lots of bacon bits, like one part bacon for every eight or 10 parts beef.

* Shredded cheese. Alternately, my brother will actually take a thick piece of cheddar and make it an inner core of the patty, smashing a couple of thin patties together around it.

* BBQ seasoning, or Lawry's -- but not too much, because salt can chase the moisture out.

* Lipton onion soup mix. You can use fresh onion, but sautee it ahead of time -- you can't soften the onion in the patty without badly overcooking the meat.

* Fresh minced garlic.

* Seasoned bread crumbs.

* An egg, to help it hold together. Because of the extra ingredients, the patties can break apart without the egg.

Just put it in a big mixing bowl and mash it all together with your hands. And have a cardiologist on standby.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is a market where I live that sells all-natural, hormone-free ground beef.

This is from their website:

"First, we have our all new Ukrop’s All-Natural Beef. This delicious, USDA Choice Beef is tastier and more tender than Ukrop’s beef has ever been. And with the growing concern over added hormones and antibiotics used in the raising of cattle, you’ll be glad to know Ukrop’s All-Natural Beef is always free of these substances.

Raised for us exclusively on smaller family ranches, where good animal husbandry is a part of the tradition and heritage, our beef is always vegetarian fed and humanely raised. These stringent checks and balances also qualify Ukrop’s All-Natural Beef to be USDA Process Verified. High quality, All-Natural Beef at a great price…"

I swear, this makes all the difference in the world.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Some good recipes here but I will put these up against any home made burger.

Mince onion and garlic and sautee. Do this just enough to get the onions soft and transluscent, and take away the raw taste of the garlic. Combine this with 1 Lb (500 G for you Canuckleheads) of lean ground beef, 2 eggs, Montreal steak spice, and a dash of Worceshire.

Form into patties and onto grill only turning over once.

YUM.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

I never make hamburgers myself (rather eat pig, yardbird, or anything from the water).

However, pretty much anything I do cook on my own, I add four or five splashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce and two splashes of Tabasco. I put it on salads, pasta, rice dishes, greens, field peas, etc. Sometimes I splash that stuff when I make scrambled eggs. I can imagine that making a mean hamburger.

Make sure the Louisiana Hot Sauce is the kind in a yellow, blue, and red bottle from New Iberia.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I actually think Ryan meant "homemaid burgers"

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

BTW, I like them myself, but anything with an egg and/or breadcrumbs in it is meatloaf and not a burger.

Carry on.

7. KG

KG Active Member

That's what I was thinking.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

So if I make a meatloaf without eggs or breadcrumbs, is it just a brick-shaped hamburger?

9. Must say that I will now have to make this the next time I make burgers. It probably won't be as good as yours, Arnonld but dang it I will try.

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I thought Ryan Sonner doesn't need recipes.
    I thought Ryan Sonner need only look at a cow and a hamburger will appear in his right hand.

11. KG

KG Active Member

My meatloaf is pretty much your burger recipe, minus the cheese.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd think you'd just have a mess. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted