1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home-school athletics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does anybody actually cover these teams comprised of home-schooled kids?

I ask because an irate parent called demanding to know why Inner City High and Country Club High get huge "write ups" for just making the state tournament while the Crusaders didn't get a story after winning the state home-school championship.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Can't help you with that one. The kids in my state who are home-schooled are allowed to represent the school in their district, and I've known tennis players and golfers who have won individual state championship for their public schools.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've worked at a coupla papers who took phoners from the home school kids. Never seen anybody cover them in person though.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would argue anyone who would care about how the home schoolers did would know the result already.

Seriously, folks follow high school sports because it's the town school, school they attended, etc. A whole community of folks has built in interest.

No one is gonna wonder how the Home School Horrors finished.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We have a couple of home school basketball teams in the area. Did a story on one home school football team that plays in the area, too. Went on the community news page. Decent story but nothing we'd cover full-time.

We did have an issue some years ago with a kid who wanted to wrestle at the school in his district and the school wouldn't let him. He didn't go there. Principal had a great line: He's more than welcome to wrestle here. All he has to do is go to school here, like the rest of our athletes.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We did a feature on a home school basketball team in our area this season. We didn't do it until the week of their state tournament, though, so it was more of a "here's how they got things together, here's where they're going with it" story.
    I welcomed the coach to call in scores next season. Maybe we'll shoot a game and use it as a stand alone photo package. Until they get more organized it'd be hard to do much more with it. Our state only has four teams, maybe as many as seven next season. I could easily see us doing another feature on their progress next year.

7. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I agree in general. But you could easily use this logic to halt coverage of everything except football and boys basketball.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Actually, I do use that logic. Got a problem with that?

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

OK, who here got the call from Mrs. Tebow?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was outstanding.

What a bunch of weenies. Want coverage, attend a real school instead of shielding your precious little flowers.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shared by a director of education in a school district in Moddy's state.

"We get all the home schooled kids in middle school because their parents want them to read."

Home school is a hot topic along with the private school kids who want to jump back to the public schools when their "better" way of schooling cannot help them anymore. In other words, when they realize their child needs special education services, they knock on the door of the public schools.

The private and home lobby will try to get vouchers passed and do everything they can not to pay taxes to the public school, but then when they need the public schools, they will drop off a special needs student that, let's just say, is a little bit more expensive to educate than the traditional student. And there is nothing wrong with that, but don't rally against school funding and then ask for expensive services when it suits you.

Let them play with themselves.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My wife is a teacher, an excellent one. She says, "I'M not qualified to teach our kids."
    Let me get her on here and get her going on home schooling.

Draft saved Draft deleted