1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home Run Derby thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 14, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I cannot remember the last time I watched the Derby, but since it's at Yankee Stadium, I'm going to give it a go.

I just want to see a few baseballs land in the bleachers and maybe one go about 10 feet higher than Mantle's supposedly flew.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm actually interested because it has some new faces. I'm rooting for Braun because he's having his agent pitch to him. Hamilton would be the best story, though, followed by Longoria.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Josh Hamilton will have his 71-year-old former American Legion coach, Clay Counsell, pitching to him. Kinda cool.

They just said on ESPN that the only other time Counsell had been at Yankee Stadium was when he was 19. He was in the stands for Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Any relation?

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, I'm actually interested to see guys like Utley, Sizemore, Braun, and Hamilton have a go at it.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Craig Counsell is from Indiana and grew up in Wisconsin. Josh Hamilton and Clay Counsell are from North Carolina.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I change my vote to Hamilton. Old coach trumps agent.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

The plan was to watch with my 5-year-old. First, we were going to simulate it on MLB2008. But one of my sweet children has scratched the disc so much it will not work. Then I had him sit by me to watch the historic Yankees homers. Now he's doing something I can best describe as shadow sword fighting. He just went to his bedroom and flipped on the light. So much for that father-son experience.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Hamilton wins it, the place will go nuts.

Who else will the locals be rooting for?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Maybe Utley.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Finally got an office pool going.

I've got Morneau. Dead money.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate 3 Doors Down.

Draft saved Draft deleted