1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home run ban for slow pitch softball field?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.recorder.ca/2014/11/25/home-run-ban-for-ballpark

"NEW DUBLIN - Council here unleashed a wild pitch Monday as they discussed imposing a ban on players hitting home runs at the Blaine Healey ball field, at Toledo’s Bellamy Park.

Council briefly discussed the idea, which came from their recreation committee, at Monday night’s council meeting. The proposal will come back to council at a later date for full discussion.

Councillor Earl Brayton said home runs from slo-pitch games often hit the trailers of nearby campers.

“You can call it silly if you like, but people (are) out there kicking and bitching and crabbing about the balls hitting their trailers and hitting the kids and one thing or another,” Brayton said.

“So if they don’t hit home runs, I guess nothing would be hitting them.”"

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Did they also ban foul balls?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It works for the Royals.

4. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I eagerly await the day that cities start fining kids every single time they hit a ball over the fence and it hits the windshield of a parked car. Making the ball land so it doesn't hit a single vehicle is a skill that more managers should be teaching the kids, dontcha know.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Played in a league two decades ago where a homer hit over the fence was called an out.

They wanted to protect local residents.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hit a homer, outrun the giant dog, meet the guy who lives there, get a ball autographed by the '27 Yankees.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, slow-pitch softball was invented as an alternative to fast-pitch so guys could actually hit the ball, field, turn double plays, etc. Now with the advent of aluminum bats, slow-pitch has essentially turned into home-run derby and the infielders get no plays whatsoever.

The wood-bat slow pitch league has become very popular in Microville because it's more like original slowpitch and you really get to field balls, turn double plays, and not fear for your life if you are a pitcher.

Home runs are outs, or limited to a designated number per game, in many city leagues.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Our league uses "flight-restricted" balls, making HRs really infrequent. Caused several of our best hitters to lose interest.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If there's not a keg at second base, I'm out.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I played in a league where each player could hit one home run, and subsequent HRs were outs. The rule was there for competitive reasons and to save time chasing balls.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's the case in my local league. I haven't played in a few years, so I don't quite remember the number, but I think it's 10. They mostly did it to save the time and expense of lost balls.

They use those here, too. I wouldn't call HRs really infrequent, but they definitely slashed the number of HRs the year they began using them.

Draft saved Draft deleted