1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home mold test anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by djc3317, Sep 15, 2011.

1. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

I realize this is a totally random post, but I figure maybe someone will have bought one of these things before or dealt with the subject...

My dog has gotten sick twice this summer since an issue with an air conditioning leak dripping out of the attic and through my ceiling. On Sunday, she really seemed to be on death's door and I woke up both Saturday and Sunday with a really sore throat that went away once I left the house. The dog, however, is pretty much inside the house close to 23/7.

Anyway, I became concerned about the air quality in the house. So much so that I took the dog to a hotel and stayed Sunday night and then Monday morning took her to the vet, where she stayed Monday and Tuesday nights while they tested her and treated her with antibiotics. Brought her home today and she's doing better, but still not 100 percent, and they didn't find anything too concerning except for a swollen lymph node in her neck that they want to check again on Monday.

So here's the question/issue: Has anyone dealt with mold in their homes or an issue such as this? The landlord came and checked the attic and said there is no mold where the leak occurred, but I went to Lowe's and bought a home mold detection test and it does have a couple of small white spores growing on the test petri dish. I'm supposed to seal it up and send it in for analysis now, but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of thing before. I read a little about mold in the home and it's nothing to play around with apparently. Kinda has me a bit concerned.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sorry. No help here.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No help here either, but I definitely thought the title read "Home molest anyone?"

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This would be a much easier answer if you owned the home.

Check the ducts the AC air flows through. See if that is an issue. Do you have a crawl space under the house?

There is a wet spot on the roof of one of your rooms? Am I reading that correctly?

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The mold associated with toxic mold poisoning is stachybotris, and it would appear as a black spot.
    Moisture in ventilation ducts is often seen as contributing factor for stachybotris.
    What is needed is an air sample. Stachobotris has to be ariborne to be a health problem.

Also, mold-related illnesses and symptoms tend to be over-reported. I'm not saying toxic mold does not represent a health problem; I'm saying it tends to be overblown.

6. 93Devil

Oh, and mold is everywhere.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Troubleshooter Tom Martino has said many times that you can never get mold out of a house.

8. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

Thanks. One of the spots might have been black. it definitely wasn't white. Shipped the test to be analyzed today, so we should know results in a couple days.

I've wondered whether I was making too much out of it, but the dog getting so sick twice is particularly what has me kinda concerned.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Got it. I misread the portion of your post about the white spores. Those are on the petri dish, not at moisture source.

The catch 22 with stachy is the airborne issue. You can do an indoor air test and come up clean. At that point, it's extremely unlikely that you are experiencing any health problems related to stachy.
    However, you find a black spot. Test the material directly and get a positive for stachy. Now, even though it was not airborne or dangerous, you have to remove it. The removal is expensive and, perhaps ironically, it makes the mold airborne, increasing the health risk in the short-term.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

93Devil is correct. Mold is everywhere. Everywhere.

I'm a lawyer and a lot of my cases are about property damage from mold. If your house is infested with mold, you're in big fucking trouble. And don't hire someone to search for mold from the yellow pages. The guy with the ad in the yellow pages will bring a dog to search for mold. Seriously. And it's a fucking joke. It's not a test that is validated by any legitimate scientific standards. If by chance you live in South Florida and want the name of a legitimate mold inspector (an actual scientist who will take air quality samples and analyze them in a lab) PM me and I can hook you up with my guy.

11. 93Devil

Where I work pays about a grand for a mold test.

Mold and asbestos are two words I never want to hear spoken.

Draft saved Draft deleted