1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home invasion hits Naples sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Tied up while four men trashed his place looking for money and drugs.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/16149723/2011/11/29/naples-daily-writer-tied-up-and-robbed

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wrong place for money. I don't know this writer, but I've known others where drugs would be found.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He doesn't post much here, but I know I've seen him around.

Glad he's OK. Scary shit.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Stories like that make me glad I live in a sixth-floor apt., although a guy down the hall from us was the victim of a similar invasion a few years ago. We were sitting in a restaurant down the street and heard what sounded like gunfire, although I had no idea what real gunfire would sound like. We looked out and all hell was breaking loose. Turns out the guy in our building had let someone he knew in, but the dude was there with a buddy looking for money that was apparently stashed. They tied him up, pistol-whipped him, etc. Then they heard sirens on Broadway - which is about an every-10-minute occurrence - and, thinking someone had called the cops, raced down the fire escape. Our neighbor got loose, grabbed his pistol from a safe and shot down onto Broadway at the perps, hitting one in the ass.

The next day he wrote a note and left it in the elevator, explaining what had happened and apologizing if anyone was scared by the gunfire. He also said he made sure no one was walking past when he fired onto the street from his window and, also, that he was a very good shot, owing to lessons at a gun range. Great.

But yeah, glad to hear this case didn't end in tragedy.

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

He's one of ours ... Anything we can do to help?

EDIT: By "one of ours" I meant a member of the SJ community, not that I work at the same paper. I also recognized the handle.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Glad you're OK, Woody.

Damn.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That sucks. Best wishes to getting justice Woody!

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wow. Glad you're OK, Woody.

9. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

Thanks, guys. Someone just sent me this thread. I'm OK, other than a few cuts and a concussion. It sucks that they stole all my stuff, but it can be replaced. Given the situation, I feel lucky that nothing worse happened to me.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

"A few cuts and a concussion" is nothing to sneer at, particularly the concussion part. Please take enough time to make sure you're OK. Don't mess with the head.

But, yeah, very glad to know it wasn't worse.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Plus, glad they didn't find your weed, Woody.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Glad to see you're ok, Woody. God bless. :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted