1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home improvement question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gomer, Jun 1, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, make sure they have a license and insurance.

2. Good advice.

Your job is a little more complicated than just replacing switches.
    As long as the power to the switches is turned off - AT THE BREAKER BOX!! - you won't electrocute yourself. But you'll have to have some know-how to re-route the wires so everythings works the right way.

You may not need an electrician, just a handy-man who knows what he is doing when it comes to wiring. DO NOT attempt this yourself.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy will be forever grateful to anyone who will come over and pour the foundation for her hot tub, so she can get it out of her parents house and bring it over here.
    I will be forever grateful to that same person, so I don't have to hear about the hot tub not being here.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is all good, practical advice but I say just wing it. Who knows? You might save a hundred bucks.

On the other hand, electricians gotta eat, too.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this job he's wanting to do will involve running some new wiring. It might even involve running more wiring to the breaker box. It just depends on how the original wiring was done.

Fishing wires is not fun. You're either in the attic, where it's 120 degrees, or under the house in the crawlspace, where it's 120 degrees. That alone is worth paying an electrician.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm all for doing it yourself, but I draw the line when your screw-ups can burn the place down. Three areas not to mess with are electricity, structural items and plumbing that goes beyond faucet replacement and other minor fixes.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Have you tried sticking a fork in it and jiggling it around?

Draft saved Draft deleted