1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home-grown terrorism?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Mar 24, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Muzz-lins

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Those are blankets.

3. digger

digger New Member

Not trying to stir up trouble, but, the article seems to claim that the left has never had these type of groups? Do the black panthers count? What about the other radical groups in the 60s?

I'm on the left, and I'd say they were too. But I'm not sure what counts as "paramilitary'' either.

What about SLA (patty hearst)? I'm just asking if the starting point for their premise was off base.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's kinda the point I was trying to make originally. Whoever at the Chronicle wrote the column seems to make it appear as a wholly one-sided affair. I seriously doubt that.

5. The Weathermen certainly qualify, although they primarily blew themselves up. There was Karl Armstrong and the bombing of the math building in Madison. The Panthers are more problematic; they were the victims of state terror as much as they were anything else, and their crimes were largely just that, crimes, not political acts in any way.
    The SLA was a glorified prison gang marinated in faux-Marxist rhetoric. Mostly, Cinque and the bunch wanted to rob people. Not that much removed from the Mansons.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's not one-sided. It's citing a trend as it relates to shifts from Republican-to-Democratic presidencies, with the obvious, needed exception of Gerald Ford.

It could happen again.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.michaelsavage.com/orwellian-journalism.html

A few weeks ago, I heard Michael Savage take issue with this set up guidelines from the Society of Professional Journalists.
    Since most of us are professional journalists, so any of us have a problem with anything on that list?
    And why would anyone not think that certain acts committed by white supremacists, anti-abortion groups, etc. are acts of terrorism?

Draft saved Draft deleted