1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home for the holidays

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Dec 23, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So I just sludged 978 miles through snow and sleet and snow-packed roads, some sliding on the interstates and avoided jack-knifed trucks and snow drifts. But made it I did.

I've made it back to the 909, where I was born (well, it was the 714 back then) and raised, and it will always be home, despite having moved out of this area 11 years ago. (And Tebow H. Christ, the driving is off-the-charts insanity out here, but I digress.) And I'm staying with my parents -- yes, I did have choices, as I've been reminded -- and within 30 minutes, it's become a barrage of text messages from me that basically said, "Um, what's happened to mom and dad?"

Something as simple as finding the password for the wireless was a chore and high-volumed, um, commentary. Seriously, I could have written two Seinfeld scripts since arriving within the first 30 minutes. Good thing I tapped into my brother's keg upon arrival.

I know it's worse in a lot of places this time of year, and in comparison, it's minor bitching/quibbling, and and things will be fine. They already are. Plus, I'm meeting my newest nephew tomorrow.

But ... if you need a place to sound off and vent about your holiday travails, have at it.

As for me, I'm ready to sleep. Except the volume on the TV is sky-high on a 5-week-old episode of CSI: New York. Or is it ER?

Ho, ho, ho.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I am not going anywhere for the holidays. And the kid is not coming home to visit. So basically I get to do nothing. I am off for 14 days straight with nothing to do while others get to revel in the holidays ....

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

As long as I am number one on that list, Mister :)

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We're stuck in the Poconos. Family is in Colorado and Arizona and we' simply can't afford to drive or fly with the kids. I don't think it would be much fun driving 3-4 days across the U.S. during the winter, anyway.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I would love to be stuck in the Poconos.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Right now, it's not that great. No snow. The ski areas are having a tough time putting a base down with all of the rain, plus warm temps.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I would do indecent things to get a white Christmas. Or any snow, for that matter.

That really is all I want for Christmas ...

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

My family drives me insane. My mom with the running commentary on everything she does, my gramma and the disdain for any loud noises and my brother and his way of looking down at me because I don't have a "real job", kids, own a home, own a nice car, or any other number of materialistic things.

But I am glad to be around them for the holidays, beats the hell out of being alone.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Courtney is in Honduras. Our son comes home tomorrow night. We'll have a "quiet, small Christmas," since we got our presents in August (though I am sending The Queen to see her daughter). I head back Sunday night and work Monday.

We do our massive "family Christmas" on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

I am going to smoke a turkey. I always smoke a turkey. With oyster stuffing. Must hold back on the wine this year since I have to drive that night.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would do indecent things to get rid of the 14 inches of cold, white, wet shit on the ground right now.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Indecent things have been done for a lot less than all of that. But maybe I'm just easy.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have never celebrated Christmas, and Miss Ragu doesn't celebrate, even though she was raised Catholic. This year, though, she is feeling nostalgic and she misses her parents who are an ocean away (she is going to visit next week).

She has never seen Miracle on 34th Street (she saw It's a Wonderful Life for the first time a year ago). So I figured I'd roast up some chestnuts and we'd get in front of the TV for it, either Christmas Eve or on Christmas. I think tomorrow night or Sunday night, we are going to do some night ice skating at either Rockefeller Center or Wollman Rink in Central Park. It's a bit cheesy, but we do the free skating at Bryant Park a lot (best thing going about NYC in the winter) and even though it is a colossal rip off at Rockefeller Center or Central Park, skating in the middle of a ton of people with the tree in the background at night might be a good diversion.

I still haven't figured out what we are going to do for a meal. We cook almost every weekend and have done some amazing meals the last few weeks, so doing something different or special will be difficult.

Draft saved Draft deleted