1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home fireworks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

You have to take a class and get a license to shoot off some bottle rockets and firecrackers in your back yard? Wow. Every law passed is another freedom lost.

I can't speak for anywhere but here, but we have circus size tents selling fireworks for about two weeks leading up to July 4th (and New Years) on every vacant lot in town. The city collects sales tax from the businesses. To come along after and tell people you can buy fireworks but not shoot them would probably not go over real well.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It does bother me because where I live, all our houses are pretty close to each other. I'm talking about just a driveway separating each house. Last night, a couple blocks away from us, some idiot was shooting off fireworks. Big ones, that were up in the air, instead of the little bottle rockets. Someone must have called the cops because after a few fireworks, they stopped.

If my house catches fire because some asshole thinks he's Robert Goddard ... odds are, I'm going to end up in jail.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm apparently the only one who gets what TSP's doing.

Oh well, I applaud him even louder.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I do as well, and agree that it's well-done.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Completely with TSP, dre and IJAG on this one. Heard fireworks entirely too close to here the last couple of nights. Fine to hear noise - that's not the issue - but the manner in which these fireworks were discharged indicated that something bad might have happened sooner rather than later.

Glad I do not work in the ER of a nearby hospital the night of July 4. No telling how many people who can barely light a match, much less fireworks, walk in with all sorts of pyrotechnic-related issues.

Go listen to some more Rush. Lighten up, Francis.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I remember running around with some neighbor kids who were using them to blow up frogs. We were like 13 years old. I never liked them since.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It was the only way he could claim his vehicle was a pocket rocket.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Not only was the original post good, but he sustained it during his replies to those not getting it. Well done the whole way through.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh, I get the cross-threaded reference. I was just responding to a legitimate gripe.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you. I believe my work here is done.

But people shooting off fireworks in their yards all night does kinda bother me. Well, basically I just don't want that shit landing on my car or house.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't want to hear fireworks at 1 a.m. either. There will always be idiots in the neighborhood that don't care about others.

Slightly off topic, but when I bought my $30 grab bag of fireworks, the person in front of me had at least $2,000 worth of serious stuff. I'm surprised the N.J. State Police doesn't swarm all routes coming from Pennsylvania to catch people loaded with fireworks.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

At midnight on the 3rd, I found my son slipping lit fireworks under the garage door in the direction of some other neighborhood teens.

Just then, a knock at the door from a mom of one of the younger girls lighting it, calling attention to my son.

All I said was, "I think this is a strong indication that everyone should take their fireworks inside. It's 12:15 a.m."

They agreed, and left quietly.

The cops don't even answer fireworks calls late unless something is on fire.

Draft saved Draft deleted