1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home fireworks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 4, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's really not difficult. If I want to shoot fireworks, I have to go through the proper process of getting a license and following both local laws and state laws (mandating insurance for one thing). I can't just decide to shoot off fireworks and cry stupid if I get arrested.

There is a proper channel in place for anyone who wants to set off a fireworks display. Plenty of folks legally go through the process every year. So the way I see you, you have two options. Either get rid of the process entirely and allow anyone who wants to shoot off fireworks in their yard to do so or enforce the process and arrest anyone who doesn't comply.

It's not difficult. It's the law.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love you so much right now.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've got a few packs of bottle rockets, but haven't lit any this year.
    We lit a mess of them last year.

And the year before that a guy I knew blew his finger off with a mortar. I had just left that party, and I found out the next day that it happened 15 minutes after I left.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm out in the sticks, on the boundary of a town that is somewhat sprawled out (and thus far from a police station), and another town that has no police station, just two state troopers during daylight hours. As you can imagine, it has been going splendidly for the past couple days, as my neighborhood has sounded like a war zone from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

States like Pennsylvania try to have it both ways. Non-residents can buy botte rockets, Roman candles and other projectiles. Fireworks are banned for the regular Joe in New Jersey and New York, and lawmakers are just trying to get the tax revenue knowing those fireworks are illegal in most states back East.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Well, like it or not the rules are the rules. If it needs to be amended, that's a different argument but just because something is hard does not mean people should be able to just choose to ignore the rules in place.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait, people cross borders to get things they can't get back home?

SEND THEM BACK!

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Why do people even bother with this shit? Spend the money on a hooker or an Arena Football ticket.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Or Lingerie Football, the best of both worlds!

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are you really that bothered by people lighting fireworks?
    Relax, Francis.

11. TheSportsPredictor

They should face SEVERE criminal penalties. Look, you shoot fireworks illegally, you need to pay the price. And if you're going to start allowing exceptions because one family or one person works really hard and, gee golly, they deserve to chase the American dream, then why not get rid of all laws?

Whether or not you have a problem with the law is not the issue. If you feel that passionately, get the laws changed. But, until they are changed, you have to follow them. That's how a country based on law works.

12. I think the problem isn't with people lighting fireworks, per se. At least for me it isn't. It's people why think July 4th spans from June 20 to July 10th. And those same people think they can put on a show just like the big guys. They can't. It's just stupid, and loud, and really really annoying.

Draft saved Draft deleted