1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy Toledo...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, May 31, 2014.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

And the hits just keep coming:

http://www.toledoblade.com/Retail/2014/05/30/Blade-notifies-unions-city-officials-of-plans-to-close-its-production-facilities.html

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The story does not indicate where they plan to print. Gotta print somewhere unless you plan to become an online only property.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Detroit maybe?

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We are still printing..but there is a few options they are working on.

At least, that's what us peons know so far. haha

Gotta say, it was an interesting afternoon around here...especially with the missing word in the letter that was sent out. Still sucks that we are losing 131 employees.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So what was the missing word in the letter?

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh, sorry, thought it was explained in the story.

The lawyer wrote "facility" in his WARN latter to the mayor.

The missing word was "production" before "facility". So instead of the whole building closing...it's just the pressroom. A slight difference.

Proof you still need copy editors in the world. :D

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

Geez.

I've been out of journalism for four years, but interviewed last week for a job at a really good daily paper. I was feeling great about it until I started seeing these threads again and now I'm wondering WTF was I thinking?

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

The rumor I'd heard was that they'd print at the Wall Street Journal printing plant in Bowling Green (about 25 miles away). I'm not sure who else could handle it nearby.

Draft saved Draft deleted