1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy Toledo! Strike at the Blade?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Oh goodie. Seems like a waste of money to pain union dues forever just to make sure you get your severance when they axe you.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That helps explain why people take advantage of idiots like you.

TheSportsPredictor and dixiehack like this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If you are getting the boot that severance pay is lifeline. I have said this before but you can be damn sure that the CEO hired a lawyer to get a contract with a very lucrative buyout. Then the CEO comes and tells the peons that you are wasting money paying union dues. Why should you a believe the CEO?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Because places that are non-union shops have been known to shitcan people with no severance.

I'll pay my $4 a week or whatever to make sure I have a few weeks' pay on the back end when (not if) I'm thrown overboard from the Titanic. And it also isn't all about me. The greater good of the union, etc.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I work 70 and get paid for 40. Does that make me an idiot or a survivor?

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Idiot.

TheSportsPredictor likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Grand poobah of the idiots.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Idiot.

You've been complaining about this for years. Just work your 40 and go home. They threaten to fire you, secretly record them doing so, then threaten a huge lawsuit for all the unpaid overtime they owe you.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He's lying anyway.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I prefer this iteration of boots to the others.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

1-year deal reached this afternoon

BREAKING NEWS: Toledo Newspaper Guild ratifies new contract with Toledo Blade.

After several days of voting, Toledo Newspaper Guild members ratified a new contract with the Toledo Blade, a division of Block Communications Incorporated.

The contract is a one-year deal, which provides bonuses for employees, a new compensation plan for advertising sales staff, more vacation time, an elimination of unpaid sick days, and a 401k match for employees for the first time ever.

In exchange, Guild members agreed to increased health-care costs, the permanent freeze in pension accruals, work-rule changes, and a pay freeze.

Guild president Nolan Rosenkrans said that the contract provided benefits for members and was the first non-concessionary contract reached with The Blade in more than a decade. But, he said, the deal still is not good enough for employees. Guild negotiators did not reach agreement with the company at the table; instead the company essentially said, "Take it, or leave it."

"This contract is the best deal reached with The Blade in more than a decade, as we've faced repeated pay and benefit cuts.

"I'm proud of what we were able to win in negotiations, but the lack of a raise in this contract is a deep disappointment for me.

"That this is a one-year deal also means that our struggle is not over, not by a long shot. We hope the company will, over the next 12 months, decide to work with us, instead of against us, and find creative ways to support journalism.

"At a time when our very craft is under attack, it is more important than ever that the Block family invest in journalism.

"Real journalists deserve the support of newspaper owners, and they deserve far better than 14 years without a raise. They deserve owners who reject fake news, and who want to stand up and be counted in these trying times.

"The victories earned in this contract came through the solidarity of our members. We will be back in a year to fight for a fair contract, a contract Toledo journalists, advertising staff, marketing employees, circulation workers, and the IT and business departments deserve.

"I want to thank everyone in Toledo and northwest Ohio that supported us during the past 2 1/2 years we've been in negotiations. We hope you will continue to support us as our struggle continues."

Draft saved Draft deleted