1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy &$#@! this hurts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This situation is what pain pills are intended for. You are not weak or a junkie if you take them to block out severe dental pain. Get the script, and if anyone gives you any shit about it tell them you'll be happy to hit them in the mouth with a bat and let *them* tough out the pain.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've only had one root canal in my life, and the canal itself wasn't painful, just boring, sitting in the chair for two hours while they do the work. But the pain leading up to the procedure was insane. I remember taking two Advil every two hours just to survive. Surely wasn't good for my stomach, but the throbbing pain was just intense, and that was the only thing that slowed it.

I didn't need any prescription pain meds after the procedure, just Advil.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Go ahead and get on the donor list for kidney transplants while you're at it. (I keed ...) If the pain's bad enough, you have to defer thoughts of anything else.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Pain is OK today.

I took 800MG of Ibuprofen and two glasses of whisky last night before bed to help me sleep a bit. Ached a bit this morning, but eased up later in the morning. A few carrots and chewy dehydrated fruit was not a good choice for lunch, I might add.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Way to suck it up, buttercup! :) I will expect revenge whenever I have to get a root canal. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

FYI, my yambag is one tough sumbitch. Sorry, Chef!

Good luck, TBF. What you're going through is an even worse nightmare than my nut-cutting.

Chef2 likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fixed.
    :0

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just make sure you ask him for something stronger than Ibuprofen. You won't need much, maybe a couple days' supply.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

November 2014 starting having excruciating pain in a tooth that I got a root canal on at least 25-30 years ago (bicuspid). I was able to wiggle the tooth with my tongue. Went to my dentist, he immediately referred me to an endodontist. Two emergency surgeries were done (December 2014 and January 2015) - basically a complete re-do on the root canal. The original was packed with some cotton in it, so likely was brewing some serious bacteria over the course of time ending up with the massive pain.

Followed up with the endodontist in June 2015 - still was seeping from the lingering infection, wanted to monitor it a bit longer. Went back just before Xmas, he took x-rays and says not only does that tooth have a cracked root but the one next to it (closer to the front of the mouth) also has a cracked root. So he said, good luck nothing we can do any further. Gonna have to be surgically extracted and likely have dental implants put it. Cha-ching.

So I got that going for me...which is nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted