1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy smokes, he's back??? Knicks hire Thomas as consultant.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sgreenwell, Aug 6, 2010.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Isiah post-retirement from playing = King Midas in reverse (the old Graham Nash song).

Everything he touches turns to dust.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, which figures, since the one thing Isiah Thomas can do well - scout players - is the one thing he always seemed to avoid with the Knicks. How many times did he trade away draft picks? Despite that though, and usually drafting in the 5 to 30 range with other people's picks, he managed to pluck Wilson Chandler (07), Balkman and Mardy Collins (06), Channing Frye and David Lee (05), and Trevor Ariza (04). I think he also drafted Damon Stoudamire when he was in Toronto. No big home runs in the group, but that's four decent players in four years. Danny Ainge's record is pretty similar, iirc.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Regarding the NCAA bylaws discussion, according to Thomas in the original article, he had gotten the OK from them. According to Katz's article, which was updated around 8 p.m. EST, the NBA sounds like the voice of sanity in all of this with their own rules:

The whole article is here. That the NCAA either doesn't have a rule against this, or doesn't consider it a violation, is utterly insane. Otherwise, why wouldn't coaches like Rick Pitino and John Calipari get hired as "consultants" for NBA teams? It would be a recruiting boon to them, and whatever team hired them would get insider information on their own players. I imagine there might be some of that going on informally anyway (i.e. NBA GMs chatting with college coaches through networking), but it is far worse to legitimatize it with actual contracts.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Unless he's dating the mother of either Chris Paul or Carmelo, this is beyond farce.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not going to happen:

Rhoden gets a co-byline.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

There also have been reports that Donnie Walsh was ready to walk out over Cable Boy Dolan's hiring of Zeke behind his back.

7. YankeeFan

Everything I read said that he "had" thought about it.

Do you think he was still considering it if it had gone down as proposed?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe Walsh realized the NBA would never approve the Isiah deal.

9. YankeeFan

I was thinking that. Maybe he was just biting his tongue until it was resolved, but all the articles made it out like he "had" thought about quitting.

Hopefully he was just keeping his feelings to himself.

Though, as far as Dolan's treatment of Walsh goes, the fact that he wanted to hire Thomas is just as bad. Walsh knows where he stands and is still there.

And, it's a sad day for the NCAA when even the NBA has more integrity than you.

Not that I'm surprised.

10. Crash

Crash Active Member

Um, he may have gotten an "OK" rating for the Balkman pick, but considering he passed on Rajon Rondo to take a guy who wasn't projected to get drafted makes it a pretty stupid pick.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Indeed. One of the first orders of business at the next NCAA meeting should be the adoption of a new rule:

"No individual serving, formally or informally, on the coaching staff of an NCAA member institution, may accept a position, paid or unpaid, with the coaching, management or administration of any professional sports franchise. Any coaches currently serving at member institutions with any such existing arrangements are directed to immediately terminate them or be declared ineligble to coach at NCAA member institutions."

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What's the difference - whether working for the Knicks/ Nike / running camp - its all a conflict of interest to being a college coach.

The colleges wink at it because it saves them money.

Draft saved Draft deleted