1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy mother of god, the weather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Wicked -

Did it just go from coldish to wicked cold where you are? If so, the engine light might be something simple. Just for laughs, go out, unscrew your gas cap, wait a couple of seconds and then screw it back on properly (until the threads click). Sometimes, the change in temperature can affect the tank pressure, fuel line uptake, and/or your O2 emissions programming. Happens on our 14-year-old truck all the time. Worth a try.

Might be a frozen fuel line, too - if it's just gotten really cold and you have a little condensation in the line.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, if you can, avoid the interstate unles the secondary roads aren't ploughed.

If you spun out three times, you're going too fast.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As much as I want to move back home, this is a swell reason not to do so. At least your roads will be plowed at some point in the next three days, though.

And jg, I would try that, but the temperature hasn't really altered here in the past 24 hours. And I don't think that would account for the grumbling noise I'm hearing coming from the engine.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

You know, I thought I had curbed my speed-demon ways this morning, but thank you for the advice.

Also, thank you for the advice, Wicked. There is, in fact, a solid secondary road.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Damn, you're posting on SportsJournalists.com while you're shovelling snow? Now that's sick dedicated.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Maybe it's just hungry then, or mean drunk. In any case, good luck.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have no idea how much experience you have in driving in snow, but here are some common sense tips which apparently even dumbass Canadians forget from year to year.

1) Slow down
    2) Leave a lot of space between you and the car in front of you. In snowy conditions your stopping time is lenghtened.
    3) Don't do anything too abrutptly as in change lanes, or brake. If you have ABS brakes don't pump them if you start skidding
    4) Make sure your windshield washer fluid tank is full
    5) Make sure your whole car is cleaned of snow.
    6) Carry an emergency kit .
    Here's a list (thanks, CAA)
    Shovel
    Traction mats
    Compass
    Warning light or road flares
    Emergency food pack
    Booster cables
    Road maps
    Matches and a "survival" candle in a deep can (to warm hands, heat a drink or use as an emergency light)
    Sand, salt or kitty litter
    Tow chain
    Cloth or roll of paper towels
    Extra clothing and footwear
    Axe or hatchet
    Ice scraper and brush
    Fire extinguisher
    Methyl hydrate (for fuel line and windshield de-icing)

7) Don't use cruise control

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Kitty litter, in case you're stuck and need some traction. Works as good as rock salt. Wish I'd had some with me last night.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You should also carry some crackers or other relatively non-perishable food items and a cup in case you get stuck in the snow for a long period. The cup you can use to melt snow with your candle to get water.

Oh, and it's 50 and sunny here in the Northwest!

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's actually shoveling with his laptop. Hope it's not a Dell.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, sure I will....

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I kept it slow on the way home. Like, old-lady slow.

On JR's tip, one of the most practical Christmas gifts I ever got was a car emergency kit with all the essentials.

Draft saved Draft deleted