1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy mother of God... I am about to build an ark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No, the East-West Side would be a contradiction.  Midtown West is a term of art.  

http://gonyc.about.com/od/manhattan/l/bl_midtownwest.htm

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Look: Midtown is the whole chunk under the park. If you say West Side, you could be up near the park, you could be in the cast of Friends, who knows....but it wouldn't specify Midtown. 

[​IMG]

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

my dog has spent half the day under our bed or a couch. chickenshit.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mostly because then a lot of people would think you are talking about the "upper west side," which is more residential. When he said midtown west, it told me a few things... That he's likely at work. That he works west of fifth avenue, which has a slightly different feel than midtown east and actually gets more media companies than midtown east, although there are exceptions.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We only have two seasons where I live.

Summer (Dec. 1-May 31)

and

Summer with Max Mayfield (June 1-Nov. 30)

[​IMG]

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Gotcha. Must be a New York thing.

So is Times Square considered Midtown or Midtown West?

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

And it just began over my head about 8-minutes ago.

I'm all ready to leave and this shit starts.

8. The Big Ragu

Which brings up a great point. I could never get into Friends for lots of reasons. A big one was that the cast of Friends was living in those fabby, very large, (presumably?) Greenwich Village apartments. Yet they were 20-somethings, some unemployed, one a struggling actor, etc. How come nobody I knew could figure out how to swing that? When I was 24 and had no money, I was living like a roach, sharing a place the size of a matchbox with several people I hated and about 40 mice I liked better than the humans I lived with.

9. Webster

Both.

I am at work.  In Midtown West.  Midtown.  The Broadway District.  Clinton.  Hell's Kitchen.  North of 42nd, South of 59th.  West of Fifth Ave.  East of Jersey.

I live on the Upper East Side.  The East Side.  North of Sutton Place.  South of Yorkville (which is part of the UES).  East of Central Park.  West of the East River.

10. The Big Ragu

So to put in terms we can all understand... You work like David Letterman. And you live like Mayor Bloomberg.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

in friends, the girls' pad was inherited. the guys shared the other pad. one guy had a good, boring job. the other was an umemployed actor.

geez, i know WAY too much about this. :'( :'( :'(

12. Webster

In location, not too far off, especially on the former.  In socio-economic standing, I am not in the same hemisphere.  

Plus, I work at least two days a week more than Dave.  And my apartment is about 1/10 the size of Mayor Mike's townhouse.

As to Friends, I couldn't agree more. If those places were real, they would be paying at least $3,500 per month.

Draft saved Draft deleted