1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy moly.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Didn't former Blue Jays and Devil Rays pitcher Tony Saunders have something similar happen to him not once, but twice?

I don't recall that he had cancer, just that his pitching arm snapped literally in half in two different games, years apart.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Saunders played for the Marlins and Rays, and yes, his humurus (sp?) bone snapped in half twice. Forced him to retire at 26, though he made a brief comeback in spring training last year with the Orioles.

He was also outed as a steroid user in Canseco's book.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Speaking of Saunders. I was at the game in Tampa when he first did that to his arm against Texas.

I was sitting down the third base line and everyone could hear it snap. It was pretty gruesome.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Oh yeah, it was the Marlins. And that would make sense with the steroids allegation, I guess.

Still, one of those gruesome injuries you don't forget.

Speaking of which, remember Jason Kendall's foot pretty much falling off when he twisted it on first base running out a grounder against the Brewers about five years ago?

That was Theismann-esque. They said his foot was attached to his leg by just the skin.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Dave Dravecky, John Birch Society.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Dravechy gave much of his time lecturing about his perspective on cancer and much more (unheralded) in hospitals visiting kids with cancer.

7. Isn't this exactly how they found out about John Kruk's cancer ... bad throw to first and he took it in the boys. Upon serious examination, he found out he had cancer?

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Dravecky got the W in that game, though.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

So what? From what I know of the John Birch Society, it has advocated the impeachment of both Clinton (for reasons other than Lewinsky) and Dubya (to put it in simple terms, for crimes against humanity).

It supports pulling the U.S. out of the United Nations. Nothing wrong with that, since the U.N. is an even bigger joke than the League of Nations ever was. No wonder Congress refuses to pay the hundreds of millions of dollars the U.S. owes the organization.

The society has also never been in favour of ties between the U.S. and the People's Republic of China, which of course is the world's largest terrorist organization, guilty for the past 57 years of crimes far worse than anything Fidel Castro has ever perpetrated.

I understand the society had quite a bad reputation for throwing around McCarthy-like Communist accusations way back in the day, but that was many years ago. Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd were successfully rehabilitated, after all, and unrepentant scumbags like Jesse Helms are still lionized as great statesmen, so why hold the society's previous beliefs against it?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Way to grind a sports thread to a halt with your bullshit politics.

Bet you get invited to loads of parties.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Where in the fuck did that come from? Grind it to a halt? Twenty whole minutes has passed. The thread was still on the first page. Geezus, who pissed in your corn flakes?

And like a thread here, sports or otherwise, has never jumped the track before, usually due to bullshit politics. Tone it down a little bit, Mr. Hypersensitive.

12. rgd

rgd Guest

Didn't Tom Browning's career end when he broke a bone in his arm while throwing a pitch?

Draft saved Draft deleted