1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy crud...it's hot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Aug 1, 2006.

1. KP

KP Active Member

I went to the supermarket, grabbed a lawn chair over by all the summer grilling stuff and hung out in the frozen food section for about an hour. Security stepped in when I opened the second box of fudgesicles.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My favourite movie quote about the heat ...

"It's hot.  This is like Africa hot.  I don't think I can stay here if it's going to be this hot".

Walked into the office this morning and the AC is on a timer - doesn't kick in until an hour after I start working.  Nasty. Ugly. And that was me, not the heat.

At home we have only a window unit in the bedroom.  It's working at full capacity and I'm still sweating.  The Dutch are not built for this kind of weather.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It reached 98 here today, with an index of about 105. Same tomorrow and even hotter on Thursday -- the hottest of the week, 100 with an estimated index of 108.

I know you folks are smart, but everyone needs a safety reminder in this type of weather. I had to put two bags into a kids arm about a month ago because he was working hard and not replacing his fluids. He wasn't listening, and will now be at higher risk for heat injuries for the rest of his life.

All that stuff about 64 ounces of water per day ... that's all well and good if you're not doing any thing. But if you're working or exercising in these temps, you should drink two cups to a quart of water an hour. Do your running early in the morning or after the sun goes down.

Please, folks. It's all common sense, and we sometimes think it's not important because it's common sense. Do yourself a favor. Drink up.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Last night, in my fair southern city, it was 88 degrees at one o'clock in the morning.
    I don't think it got under 80 all night. And that isn't the heat index, that is the actually temp.
    It has been like this all week and looks to stay that way for the rest of the month.
    A story on the news today said that the electricity companies are worried about blackouts since everyone's AC is running non-stop.
    And, on a side note, I laughed so hard at the image of someone sitting in the beer cooler, lounging around made me laugh so hard I popped my back and now it hurts.

EDIT: Oh and my football coaching brother-in-law cancelled two-a-day practice for the first time in his career. Had all the kids come in and they did 7-on-7 skeleton in the air conditioned gym. The linemen went and lifted weights.
    Then everybody went home.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

At my local, when it gets really not, they let me stand in the beer cooler with a cold bottle on the back of my neck. I told them that next time I'm bringing a lawn chair and a church key.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Instead of throwing shit, trying smiling and wearing a tight shirt... how could any male get angry at cold, hard nibbles...?

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Same here. It was 82 at 3am here in the north. And it hasn't cooled down. You walk out and it feels like you walk into a brick wall as soon as you get out.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

True story (like I could make this up):

Talked to one of my friends who works at a television station here in town. They finally made an arrest in a triple murder that happened here nearly two weeks ago, and it's a good thing.

Because if no arrest had been made, his TV station was going to go whole-hog on the heat.

Their hook?

They'd called an ambulance service in to be on scene as they had one of their reporters sit in a car with the windows up and the engine off to show how quickly a person can be overcome.

I wish I was fucking kidding.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hahhahahha how would you like to go into THAT news meeting and draw the short straw?

10. Damn. I bet his balls smelled something awful after about an hour.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Damn.  I bet that's my former news director.  That's EXACTLY the kind of shit he'd go for.

He once had a reporter tasered live on the air.  Paramedics were lined up behind her to catch her -- problem was, she fell forward.  Our medical reporter was the only one to break her fall, and he got shocked in the process.

At least they used her live and not our operations manager.  They tasered him on tape for a story once, and he shouted "Holy motherfucker!" as he went down.

By the way, it was 118 here a couple of weeks ago.  Our highs are in the low 100s and the lows are in the mid 80s -- it's actually unseasonably cool for us.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

They don't.

Seriously, it's fucking miserable in my non-airconditioned apartment.
    Plus, my computer keeps overheating and I can't finish my last project for school because it keeps shutting itself down, even after its off for a couple of hours.

FUCK.

Draft saved Draft deleted