1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy crapsticks, I'm going to be a McSweeney's Contributor!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Nov 13, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just got the note from the McSweeney's people that asked me to write a story for the Sunday Paper edition they are coming out with at the end of the month.

Here's the link for the project

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/SFPanoramaPR.html

The sports section front could have stories from me and also Stephen King.

I'm so excited, I think I'm about to puke.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!

I know a McSweeney's contributor (kind of) and got a Christmas present from him!

(will it be about the trend of older virgins?)

3. Congratulations, my man. I am looking forward even more to reading the SF Panorama now.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

great stuff. very excited for you. woo-hoo!! ;D 8) ;) :D

5. JayFarrar

Much thanks for the kind words.
    Holy crapsticks, long-form narrative journalism is Fing hard. The 600 word max has ruined me.
    I was assigned 2,000 words in a "literary journalism style" and it is due on Friday. Or today, or tomorrow depending on your timezone.
    My second draft is 2,509 words and I think I'm about to cry and I'm exhausted but excited at the same time.
    I have a new found appreciation for the guys and gals who do this on a regular basis.
    Some of the board's regulars, or least were regulars, Jones, JG, ChB, Double D, Friend and the rest, wow. I envy and hate your jobs right now.

6. JayFarrar

In an update to the update.
    Dave Eggers liked what I did, said I was a good writer and then asked if I could turn the 2,500 word piece into something even larger.
    Here's a portion of the conversation
    Dave Eggers: We made a mistake with some of the newspaper writers and tried to constrain them in a tight space. And when I read you, I saw that you were one of the guys who was trying to shoehorn all this information into only 2,000 words and it didn't really work. That isn't meant to be a criticism of you, it was true for all the newspaper writers, they are being told shorter is better and that's not what we want, so I really want you to unleash it.

me: okay

DE: Cut loose, write as long as you can, it can be 5,000 words, 6,000 words. As long as you need it to be. Don't worry about getting cut, it will all get in.

me: wow, I wish my editor was more like you

DE: I've been getting that a lot from the other newspaper writers.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As somebody who knows Jay, I'm proud of him.

Also, he should serve as an example for all of us. Don't be afraid to hear "No" when pitching freelance articles. You never know when Dave Eggers will like your work.

(Though liking Jay's work makes me seriously reconsider Eggers' genius status. ;D )

Draft saved Draft deleted