1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

holy crap, ron wolfley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Feb 26, 2009.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Again, this is completely off base. He works for the team. He is not, on any level, an unbiased reporter of what the Cardinals do. He's a paid representative of the team.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

again, weeping. :'( :'( :'(

he's not a member of arizona's decision-making team. he's doing the interview to offer his insight/perspective on what's up with arizona. shame on him for wearing a cards shirt. and shame on nfl network on using him in a "reporter" role.

i'd like to give wolfley the benefit of the doubt but it was a stoopid wardrobe choice.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Spot on. He's a member of the media, but he's not trying to be an unbiased journalist. How could he be when he's employed by the team? Nothing wrong with him wearing the team logo.

4. PCLoadLetter

So explain what's wrong with a Cardinals employee wearing a shirt with a Cardinals logo.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

fair enough. if you wish, i'll take out my outrage on nfl network then. they should suck it up and get a more credible person to offer their take on the cardinals.

still disagree with the notion that he's "a member of the media" but shouldn't be held to journalistic standards.

6. PCLoadLetter

That, I think, is a legit beef. If you are looking for an unbiased analysis of the Cardinals, you're probably better off finding a guy who's not on the payroll.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

He has plenty of company among NFL team-paid broadcasters who wear the team gear ALL THE TIME.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't get the uproar. If anyone from a newspaper were on TV discussing the newspaper, I don't think it would be out of line to ask them to rock some newspaper gear, either a polo or a hat or something.

If you're asked on TV to talk about your employer, I don't think it's weird to rep that employer.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

While a team-employed color commentator may be a member of the media, I would not describe that person as a reporter...
    Dude, he works for the Cardinals. I bet your sweet bippie they censor the things he says....I can certainly remember times when the in-house commentators have gotten in trouble for, basically, being honest and criticizing the home team....how on earth is wearing the gear worse than that?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've already agreed to instead spank the nfl network for using wolfley as a "reporter" for its free-agency show. the network does try to do sone credible, topical shows. this wasn't one of them.

i recently started getting nfl network. was just hoping on subjects like this one the folks there would try to be credible. apparently, it was wishful thinking.

my bad. ::) ::) ::)

11. it's actually more honest that he's wearing the shirt and not trying to pretend he's an unbiased observer

absolutely nothing wrong with it

bewildering thread

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bingo. I'm not sure why anyone would expect down-the-middle analysis from someone paid by the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted