1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy crap! Illegal fish costs this guy $40,000

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 25, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

From the Toronto Star:

LINDA NGUYEN
    STAFF REPORTER.

A man has been fined $40,000 after police found a species of illegal fish in his vehicle.

The Lake Ontario conservation officers had stopped the vehicle on May 11 on its way to deliver the fish to a business in Toronto, said the Ministry of Natural Resources.

The vehicle was owned by Wind Fishery, a business that imported live grass carp for sale, said the ministry.

The provincial government had banned the sale and possession of four species of live carp in 2004 after it was found that the fish were invasive.

Carp can only be imported freshly killed or frozen, said the ministry.

Feng Yang, 46, of Markham, has been convicted of one count of possessing the live invasive fish and fined $40,000.

Strikes me as a little excessive.

I hope it tasted good.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Did you mean Holy Carp?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My first thought was that the dude owns a Chinese restaurant and wanted it for his pond. He might have rethought that after it grew to the size of a Volkswagen, had he not been relieved of it and fined.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

If he really owned a Chinese restaurant, wouldn't he have been caught transporting stray cats and dogs?

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

No, that's Korean. A restaurant in my hometown was busted for serving it once.

Draft saved Draft deleted