1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy crap do I suck at golf

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jul 21, 2009.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

sometimes the best rounds i play are early in the season when i have no expectations of a score. I just hit it, find it and hit it again.
    And, ryan sonner, if john daly can where his clown outfits, i'm convinced jorts are the wave of the future on the links.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

that should be wear, of course. but i'm an idiot, as most people are well aware.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I played last week. I sucked, and I mean even compared to my usual sucky game, I sucked hard. It might help if I played more than three times a year, but I didn't even suck that bad when I was playing at a resort in February and I'd been drunk for three days.

I'll try to hit some balls, see if I can figure out the problem.

No matter how sucky I play though, it's better than being at work.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

My golf game is just fine, except for my driving, short game, and putting.... :D

Seriously, Bubbler, join the club. I've only been playing for about 4 years (I started when I organized a charity tournament in honor of my late fiancee). I started out in the 140s, and now I am usually in the high 100s or 110s. I use it mainly as exercise, a nice 4-mile walk if you don't pay too much attention to the golf.

Nice round, three_bags. It always feels great to be around 50...

And to echo OTD: A bad day on the golf course beats a good day at work.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Well, well, well. So you suck at golf, Bubbler and you have a life? Imagine that.

The game is the most frustrating thing I've ever taken up and nothing's remotely close. But I came into it with a huge handicap -- I didn't start playing until dicking around with my buddies in college and I didn't start seriously playing until my early 30s. By then, I had a wife, kid, job and life, which meant barring a winning lottery ticket, it was too late to really improve.

So I take the game for what it is. I understand what it takes to be really good (less than one-half of one percent of all the golfers in the US carry a single-digit handicap) and I understand that barring one of my kids waking up and deciding they want to play (not happening with Thing 1/unlikely with Thing 2) or barring me coming into a vast sum of money, I'm never going to get to that point.

Everyone assumes because I work around the game that I'm good. Everyone assumes incorrectly. I'm a 17, although my game is so inconsistent that I can play either better than that or far worse. And the problem it, I have no idea what will show up from week-to-week.

Case in point. During Daylight Savings Time, we play nine holes every Monday night at this muni eight minutes from work. My goal every time out is to shoot my age (44) for nine holes. Well, back in May, the golf gods smiled upon me and I was playing the best golf of my life: rounds of 38, 41 and 42. The 38 was the best nine holes I ever put together on a non-par-3 course and so far above my head that it startled everyone.

Then, I played a charity tournament for my son's school in mid June on this course I used to play all the time. The wind was howling, those greens are never easy to read and I didn't play that well.

And my game hasn't been the same since; my next three Monday rounds were 47, 48 and a hideous 51 where I stood on the course several times and literally had no idea what I was doing out there. There is no worse feeling in the world than standing over a shot and not having an idea where it's going.

So yeah, Bubbler. Join the club. ;)

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Heard once where 9 out of 10 amateur golfers in the U.S. are bogey-golfers or worse.

Most frustrating league match of my life the other night.

I've been hitting the ball very well.

Start on a par 5. 508 yards....I'm sitting like 170 out....just assholed this drive....but it's in the first cut of a rough behind a tree.....pitch out, but gets caught in the shmutz.....yada, yada....take 8.

In 9 holes, I had 5 pars, 3 triple bogeys, and a double, for a brain-numbing, whiskey-shot inducing 47.

7. I say this everytime a golf thread like this comes up. I once had a lesson with a PGA pro who told me only 30 percent of your average weekend duffers break 100. And only 20 percent of that 30 percent can break 90. If you really think about it, that's not very many people who shoot 85. And 85 still means you're bogeying half the holes.

My roommate and I have been playing golf together for almost 10 years. His goal is to be a bogey golfer. Nothing wrong with that goal.

And it really is about stance, hand position, posture and ball position. Once you come to do those things consistently right, the swing will take care of itself.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anything under 90 is well past duffing. Bogey golf means you can play in any foursome on earth and not hold 'em up. I am low 90s good days, high 90s usually, and 100s on the bad ones. I ain't rich enough to play enough to change it, either. But if you hit a bucket of balls a week on the range, your game doesn't deteriorate too much, or so I've found. However, I've also found that after age 55, each spring sees you lose about a third to a half-club in length.
    It's cold, cruel world, but at least on the course, it's well landscaped.

9. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Nah, this guy will take care of you.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bogey-golfer? Christ. My goal is to not reach double-digits per hole.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well just remember your round will be a lot more enjoyable if you choose the right people to play with....

1.) Anyone who is "grrr the angry man" is not a good person to play golf with. You want to enjoy your round, not listen to your buddy drop F-bombs and throw clubs after every bad shot. You are out there to relax, not be stressed out more.

2.) Anyone who is giving free lessons after every time you hit -- at first it may seem helpful, but the third hole you will want to rap your driver around their neck and by the ninth hole you are seriously considering how much jail time a homicide might bring you because it is looking like a good option. Just let me hit the fucking ball and STFU.

3.) Anyone who can make a four-hour round turn into a 5 1/2 hour round because they play slow golf and line up every putt and shot like they are at Augusta in the Masters

4.) Anyone who is a PGA-rules dork and wants to try and enforce every one of them on you, even though you ain't playing in a match against them or for money -- and you are just trying to get off the course with less than 130.

These four golfers are four golfers I refuse to play with, unfortunately, you usually have to play with them once to find out that this is the way they are.

My objectives are to relax, have fun and enjoy a few hours in the sun while trying to push myself to shoot better than I did the last time out.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If people wrote down what they actually shoot on each hole, maybe only 10 percent of us weekend duffers break 100.

Actually, I should clarify that. One of the few good things about working every weekend and nights, like many of us do: Easy to get out on the golf course during weekdays, when the course is less crowded and the green fees are cheaper.

I'll be playing my second round of the year on Tuesday. Shot a 99 the first time out; actually shot a 45 on the front nine before reality set in. But anytime I break 100, I'll take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted