1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy crap do I suck at golf

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jul 21, 2009.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

Take a lesson - seriously

even just a couple will give you a basic swing that can make you enjoy the game

there really is something sweet about a golf ball jumping off the face of a club with that "zwing" sound

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think we're going to need you to surrender your Man Card.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you can't break 100 at Putt-Putt, it's time to hang up the golf clubs for good.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The first post of this thread was way too long for me to read...I'll just assume you suck at golf.

Join the club. It's a big one.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's nothing like pulling a long, sock-covered shaft out of the bag, pulling off the sock and exposing some real, honest-to-goodness wood ... :eek:

I remember non-golfing friends joking about all the phallic symbols in golf, and when I thought about it, they were right-on. The ball-washer on each hole was our favorite one.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It ain't rocket science. Get a lesson package of about five or six one-hour sessions from a PGA professional. It comes down to grip, stance, posture and ball position; then avoiding big numbers on the course.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's that easy. Maybe that's why we're all on the PGA Tour.

It ain't rocket science, no. But it's nowhere near easy, either. And it comes down to a hell of a lot more than the few things you listed.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

After that pay somebody to teach you how to catch a fucking baseball.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I haven't played in two years, which is a shame. I wasn't terribly good, but if I could ever straighten out my drives, I turned plenty of par-4s into pitch-and-putts, much to the disgust of my colleagues.

And not one drop of graphite or carbon-fiber in my clubs. Steel shafts, though I did get a Callaway Steelhead driver a few years ago. But every other club in my bag is more than 20 years old, though in excellent working order.

Slap already took the best line - as usual.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My dad was a scratch golfer, caddied in several Canadian Opens back in the day and taught me the game when I was about ten. I played my best golf in my teens.

Haven't played in about five years. Lots of great courses around Toronto but they're all expensive, require an all-day commitment and are full of yahoos.

I liked the game better before the riff-raff took it up. :)

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

We talk about how poor our golf games are, but keep in mind that the average score is around 100, give or take a shot or two, so if you can break into the 90s, you're above average.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My buddy runs the healthclub at the local golf club, high powered business people, local college coaches, entrepeneurs, all are members and alll ask my buddy for advice. He's never picked up a set of clubs in his life. He watched some youtube videos and got a Golf for Dummies book and now offers advice. They lap it up because they figure its can't be any worse than what they are doing right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted