1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy 14-over-par Batman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, May 31, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

In almost every way possible the rules (of golf and growing up) don't seem to be applying to her. It's too bad.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow. That's a lot of very interesting stuff. Looking forward to reading your story on it.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

In a not-quite-related-but-funny side story...

When I was in college, a few men's tennis players lived in my dorm and swore that Andy Roddick was a cheating bastard in junior tournaments. One of them said "apparently I never hit a ball in on that motherfucker's side" in reference to in/out honor code calls. I've probably covered tennis for a grand total of 6-7 days in my life, so I have no idea if that was sour grapes or a legitimate beef.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Roddick's actions while a junior, but FWIW . . .

A few years ago he showed some good sportsmanship that cost him a match in Rome.

Roddick was leading 5-3 in the second set and had triple match point when Fernando Verdasco appeared to hit a double fault. The line judge called the ball out but Roddick said the ball was in, giving Verdasco an ace.

Verdasco then saved two more match points, held serve, and broke Roddick to even the second set at 5-5. Verdasco went on to win 6-7 (1-7), 7-6 (7-3), 6-4.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The best tennis/honor code story I have is I covered a girls high school district title match and one of the key matches -- I think it was No. 2 singles -- the one girl kept calling every close one on her side "out" and the other girl was just getting more and more pissed.

Finally there was a key point and sure enough it was a close one -- I think it actually hit the line but the same girl called it "out" and took the point and the game. The other girl went ballistic threw her racket over the net at the other and was screaming stuff like "you bitch, that's bullshit" then followed her down the net screaming at her until they got to the chairs where they took a break in between games and snatched her by her shirt, the whole time screaming -- they were pulled apart by their coaches.

Needless to say girl was disqualified by the officials from the league, mostly because they had given her a few warnings for "ball abuse" and things of the such, but it was clear her frustration came because the other girl just wasn't being honest.

I was about six months into my career at the time thinking "I'm going to love covering girls tennis...."

Since then, however, I have often wondered -- why don't they have referee's (or line judges or whatever they are called) in high school tennis? It makes no sense to me, especially since I covered the state matches that year and they did have line judges.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A friend was a nationally ranked junior player about 20 years ago. He had great things to say about Sampras when it came to sportmanship and lousy things to say about Chang and Andre.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So when will we be able to buy the Maxim issue with Wie on the cover?

Any takers?

I'm guessing when she is 22 years old and the golf game has collapsed.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Not surprised about Sampras or Andre at that time (thankfully he grew up). Chang, I'm a little surprised.

I think Wie needs to go to college if just for a little while, end of story. Two years in a social environment away from her stupid ass father. She can grow up, mature and learn to think for herself. If she gets back on the pro tour at 20, 21 as a full-timer, she might have a chance.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I covered a few big SEC tennis matches in college and don't remember ever seeing line judges ... just one official up in the chair who could overrule player's honor code calls.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Another Wiekend, another DFL. Wie finished 10 strokes behind the person who finished next-to-DFL. But I think she made thru the whole tournament without a rules violation, so there's something to hang your hat on.

http://www.lpgascoring.com/leaderboard.html

Draft saved Draft deleted