1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hollywoodland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

At times languidly paced, but well acted.

And, if you can believe it, they got a really good turn from Ben Affleck, though I wonder if he tackled the role on some biographical level.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ben's capable of good stuff on occasion, see Chasing Amy and Dogma.

And I'm sooooo checking this out on my day off Monday.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I really felt that in those two movies, he was somewhat surface-y.

This has actual nuance and depth.

But I loved those two films and thought he did not detract from them.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Maaaaaaaaaahmmmmmmm . . . Ben Affleck's in my bed."

-- E. Cartman

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Thought I got sick of him during the Bennifer days, I echo Sportschick's praise of some of his earlier work. Might be worth checking out (although if Mrs. Terrier gets her way, we'll be seeing the Black Dahlia film when it premieres next week. What is it with movies about unsolved half-century-old Hollywood deaths opening back to back weekends?).
    Note for Deadwood fans: Our beloved Jim Beaver (the late Whitney T. Ellsworth) is Hollywoodland's historical consultant. He is also writing George Reeves' biography.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

As much as Ben Affleck sucks, I can't wait to see this. It looks damn good.

And so, of course, does Diane Lane. [/boner smiley]

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You know when Affleck works with a good director he's usually not too bad. I never understood how he could shoot a scene in a Pearl Harbor, slip in and out of that Southern accent and not have Michael Bay or somebody say "You know Ben, you lost the accent. Why don't we try that again?"

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ah, Michael Bay -- the Poynter of Hollywood directors.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

What's this movie about?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

George Reeves, the Superman of the 1950s TV series, who (according to the official account) committed suicide in 1959 (supposedly despondent over being typecast as Supes, rapidly aging out of that role as he got older and paunchier, and seeing his career going nowhere).

Rumors have it the death was not a suicide and Reeves had other things going on in his life (various affairs with some number of different people, perhaps not all of the female persuasion), involvement with organized crime, and some other rumors which, I would guess, probably make up most of the plotline.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Thanks. Sounds interesting.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Best scene in the movie for my money is when he is watching a screening of From Here To Eternity in a packed theater.

no spoiler

Slept on it:

I never thought I would write this: Affleck should be nominated for best supporting actor for his Reeves

Draft saved Draft deleted