1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hollywood writers strike looms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 22, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cybill Sheppard is pregnant again?

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm partially outing myself in saying that yes, we are going on strike. I've never walked a picket line, but that's gonna change come next week.

It's mostly about residuals in a very gray area: online, mobile and other emerging media, but there are other ancillary areas involved, too. IMO, this will go on for awhile, as it may set some precedents IRT setting the bar for upcoming contract negotiations for the producers' guild and SAG in the next year or so.

The writers got royally screwed on royalties in '88 and we just have to make sure to take care of ourselves in the new/newish media outlets. Admittedly, it's a hard task in many ways.

Sit tight, folks. Methinks this ain't gonna suss out any time soon. In the interim, enjoy the reality shows (whose writers aren't WGA members)!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good luck, Vol. Writers have been getting the screws for too long. Hope you guys win this one.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder how this effects people who are bit players on the late night shows who work primarily as writers, but show up on the air sometimes... The correspondents at The Daily Show come to mind...

I think the seasons for Lost and 24 have already been shot well in advance. This was the reason why several established shows were held over until mid-season. But as soon as the holidays are over, we'll have three nights a week of American Idol, so we know Fox will be fine...

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Lost has been in production for a while now (since late summer, at least) so they won't feel the hit until late March, if that. They planned on a shorter season this year anyway, so the lack of fresh alternative programming might actually be a good thing for that group in particular. 24 is a different issue, because production for this season got delayed by the storyline overhaul.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember Letterman during the last writers' strike, those shows were funny for just how bad they were. "Network Time Killers" was some oddball crap every night, and there was a huge box above the stage that would just dump something to be funny. One night it was a thousand packs of smokes, that kind of thing.

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Strike is here...
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071105/ap_on_en_ot/hollywood_labor
    If it goes on for an extended period of time would the late night shows or the Daily Show hire scab writers?
    Can they do any shows without needing writers?

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

According to all that I ahve heard and read over the last couple of days, the talk shows will shut down and remain shut down for awhile. The exception is "The View". They say they'll try to wing it without writers.

And who knew those people had writers?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Does anyone know any Hollywood writers? I have thought many a time that it would be great fun to write for TV, especially The Daily Show or Letterman. How does one get into that line of work? (Not that I'm trying to scab!)

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Man, I hope this doesn't affect The Weather Channel!

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I heard an interesting story on NPR this morning about how the strike will have an impact on about a half-million jobs in Southern California. It will affect people who work in transportation, dry cleaning, catering, production, the restaurant industry...all sorts of fields.

Draft saved Draft deleted