1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hollywood writers strike looms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Get ready for "death by reality TV."

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/tv-writers-edging-toward-a-strike/

Rebecca Winters of Time magazine said that viewers “would have to find alternatives to some of their favorite scripted shows” by December, as writers stopped churning out scripts for television episodes. She expects “a heavy dose of reality and game shows” in prime time, fewer late-night jokes, more content from abroad, and lots of reruns.

In other words, Lost may be lost for a while.

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Most shows have eps written fairly far in the pipeline for this season.

Will it stem the coming surge of reality tv shows and foreign import shows, like the original "The Office?" Hardly.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I thought we were already being bludgeoned to death by reality TV. Are you saying it's going to get worse?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I always thought the best strategy would have been to wait until reality TV petered out and only one or two reality shows were on the schedule...

THEN go on strike. Boy, would that have been fun.

5. Football_Bat

The first things that will be impacted will be the late-night comedy shows and topical shows like "The Daily Show". A writers' strike will immediately be felt.

I hope Letterman and Conan still have their comedy-writing chops.

The established shows will have enough scripts to make it well into the season, but by January, a lot of new shows which haven't gotten a full-season order are going to go dry. The midseason scripted shows like Lost and 24? On hiatus.

And Stagger, the answer to your question is "yes."

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Are writers on the late-night shows unionized? Is TDS crew unionized? I thought most cable folks weren't unionized.

7. Football_Bat

Everything I read has TDS listed prominently. The cable folks may not be unionized everywhere, but they appear to be in California.

Movies will get hit, too, but may not be apparent to the public till late spring.

The issue is getting a piece of the action on downloads.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Somehow, I don't see Stewart being able to carry that off without a writing staff. I may be wrong.

9. Football_Bat

Looks like Monday will be when the writers walk.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117975235.html?categoryid=18&cs=1

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Does this mean The Office will suck the rest of the season?

11. doctor x

doctor x Member

So Saturday Night Live could get worse?

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Shit, this might help it.

Draft saved Draft deleted