1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hollywood still has no new ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Gravity" is heavily derived from "Marooned" (1969) and "Space Cowboys" (1999).

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What's considered "new"?

Would the "Hunger Games" or "Life of Pi" qualify as a "new" idea?

3. Starman

The new version of "Gilligan's Island" is supposed to be built around the "talents" of Josh Gad, a galactically unfunny stupid fatfuck who single-handedly took last year's "1600 Penn" down in a ball of flames in about four episodes, and thus is guaranteed to bomb.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That show was terrible, and he was bad in it. But he's been good in other stuff and was the lead in one of the most successful Broadway shows in years, so it's not like everything he touches turns to shit. Christina Hendricks is a pretty obvious first choice for Ginger. I hope they cast a good Mary Ann.

5. Starman

He wasn't just 'bad' in '1600 Penn,' he was goddamn fucking abominable, and as a creator/producer chief writer for the show, he made pretty much every scene of the whole show revolve around his own fucking stupid bungling fatass character, a pretty fair prediction of what he will probably do on 'Gilligan's' given similar 'creative input.'

(I mean, 'Animal House' was great. But do you know Belushi was only on screen for about six minutes of it? I don't think either Belushi or 'Animal House' would be nearly so fondly remembered today if the whole movie was 1:49 of him doing the 'i'm a zit' thing and spitting potatoes at the camera.)

Now it's not like the cast of '1600' was stellar or anything, but it had Jenna Elfman and Bill Pullman, who have been funny/servicable in other vehicles over the years, plus of course Pullman could have played up and vamped on the parody of his earlier POTUS character from Independence Day, but no, every fucking scene had to be about Josh Gad.

Draft saved Draft deleted