1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hollywood still has no new ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last week, I stumbled across news a reboot of The Naked Gun series was in the works.

Today, it's Gilligan's Island.

I hate Hollywood.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm sick of characters in TV comedies speaking to the camera.
    It is so tired.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Hollywood took in $10.7 billion last year. If "no new ideas" is all it takes, I'll be a billionaire in no time.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Gravity," "American Hustle" and "Inside Llewyn Davis" appear to be three very strong counter-examples to the no-new-ideas idea.

Hollywood has always had a certain amount of shlock, and it may be more prevalent now than ever, but I feel like I could find an engaging and original movie just about any time I wanted to.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is more schlock. There has always been a lot of it.
    I'm surprised when schlock does well with audiences.
    I shouldn't be surprised, but I almost always am.
    Audiences have demonstrated consistently that familiarity sells.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are reruns of Gilligan's Island still even airing? Do they really think the 13-20 years olds who drive the movie market will go see it?

7. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Every time I hear about a reboot in the works, I always wonder what the pitch meeting is like for those projects. I mean, what happens when you go into a room in 2013 and say to some studio executive: "I have two words for you: Naked. Gun."

And riddle me this: How did that god-awful Land of the Lost movie get green-lighted? I realize that if a big name is willing to sign on, you're going to catch the studio's eye. Or get them thinking about the box office, more likely. But I'm wondering how you don't get laughed out of the room when you come in trying to sell a studio on a new take for an old idea.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They made two GI Joe movies, based on comics, toys and a cartoon that are 30-+-years-old.
    I think 'Land of the Lost' was looking to cash in on the same idea: appeal to 40-year-old parents who want to see it due a misplaced sense of nostalgia and can drag they're kids along with them as a beard.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But at least it was new schlock. This is old, repackaged schlock.

10. MisterCreosote

Sometimes the old, repackaged schlock is better than the original schlock.

See J.J. Abrams' Star Trek.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Spider-Man' made more than $400 million - a mega smash.
    And they still had the balls to remake it 10 years later.

12. MisterCreosote

They remade The Incredible Hulk five years later, but that's because the Ang Lee one sucked.

With successful movies, a 30-year buffer between versions would be good.

Draft saved Draft deleted