1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hollywood has no shame

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Sep 10, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why do they make movies about the Dukes of Hazzard or remakes of the Longest Yard, Brian's Song or Bad News BEars?
    They have no original ideas and its easier to remake other versions.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they remake it? It's an unsolved mystery that has fascinated people for years which makes it a natural subject for writers and film makers, IMO. I have no problem with artists using common source material if they have something of their own to say about it.

This is not to say that this movie might not be a steaming pile - I'm just talking about motivation. I mean, why do people keep staging "Hamlet" and "American Buffalo"?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, Little Miss Sunshine has been done a hundred times. So has Momento. Talladega Nights. Cars. Nacho Libre. Sure, "Hollywood" follows a pattern often -- unlike, say, newspapers, which never repeat themes, right? [/sarcasm] but there are plenty of unique offerings makign it to production all the time.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

SOAP opened No. 1 and has earned back its production cost before the DVD cash-in. Without the Internet hype, it woulda been lucky to top Accepted or Material Girls the week it opened!

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sorry, but it sounds like you and I see much different movies. And .... cut!

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Are you upset about Law & Order being "ripped from the headlines" too?

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Very, very well said.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

9. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

LINK PLEASSSSE!!!!!

10. boots

boots New Member

go to dogpile.com and type in black dahlia. then comment.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

James Ellroy is one of America's great novelists.

Geez, for those of you who are asking "Why are they making this movie", you might as well ask, why are they making movies?

It's a compelling story.

As HC pointed out, you could make 100 different movies of Hamlet and done properly, it'd still be fresh and new.

12. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Man, I guess you're right. Hollywood really does have no shame.
    What's next - a fictionalized TV movie about what caused 9/11?

Draft saved Draft deleted