1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holliday credits McGwire for his improvments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Sep 21, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Now I'm a big Matt Holliday fan. He seems, from an outsider's perspective, as a real down-to-earth humble guy who can smash the guts out of a baseball.
    Is it a mistake to credit Big Mac with helping him with his stroke, though, given the unanswered speculation around him still today?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/09/21/bc.bbn.holliday.shotstr.ap/index.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Somewhere, STD's little thingy got hard and he has no idea why...

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I get my baseball information from Jeff Passan, who reported a change with Holliday on July 2:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-holliday070207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It'd be like giving Saddam props for improving your rule of a police/dictator state.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

But what if you became a contender for best dictator in your area?

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

If they were just talking batting tips, what's the problem?

Regardless of whether or not McGwire juiced up, he's a good guy. Probably has a few regrets, like anyone. But it's not like he's O.J. or something.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Steriods or not, the guy could rake: 70 homers in a season. Doesn't matter how many 'roids he took, that's still worth taking plenty of batting tips from.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just to make sure: Does that mean if Bonds offered tips, Holliday should take those as well and not be concerned about the image of Bonds?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know, Buck. Those .263 hitters aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

Wait a second. ...

10. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Big Mac hit 49 hr as a rookie and I am pretty sure he wasn't on the juice then given his thin frame. His helping Matt Holiday is only going to help his image in general. Matt Holiday is an exceptional hitter and has a brother that is an hitting instructor and a father as a coach. That said sometimes you need batting tips from people outside of your inner circle.
    And again this was reported much earlier by an excellent writer at yahoo sports (Jeff Passan)

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Isn't this like saying "if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle".
    I mean if Tony Gwynn didn't hit for average he would have had trouble staying in the league because he did not hit many home runs. The fact of the matter is they both did their jobs. One enhanced by steroids one enhanced by a buffet

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

right. because no one thin has ever been nailed for steroids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fucking idiot.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted