1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday travel thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Dec 21, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

But you're still using the trip, correct, just on a different flight? That's actually why you're not being compensated.

One of my coworkers' was supposed to fly home today. His flight was canceled and they couldn't find him another flight until "maybe Christmas Eve." He wasn't having any of that, so he found a flight on Southwest and has a refund coming for the other ticket, since he won't be using it.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Made it home today without much incident. Both our flights were delayed about an hour, but we arrived safely, and so did our luggage, which is always a plus.

At the risk of sounding like Peter King (or Boom imitating Peter King), I am constantly annoyed by people who blatantly disregard the flight crew's instructions regarding cell phones and/or approved electronic devices. Stupid woman across the aisle from me today was texting AS WE WERE LEAVING THE GROUND! Unbelievable.

But I'm thankful that's my biggest gripe of the day. Let's hope the trip back next week goes as smoothly.

Happy travels, y'all!

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I drive home tomorrow (it'll take another couple hours) then I drive back here to work on Christmas and drive back for another few days.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm leaving at midnight tomorrow night for the 12-hour drive to Kansas. I anticipate hitting snow around St. Louis (which is about the halfway point for me) but if all I get is snow, I'm fine with that. I'm packing enough clothing that it might look like I'm going to be in Kansas for two months, instead of six days, mostly because it's barely gotten into the teens for the high the last week or so.

But yeah, tomorrow's going to be fun...I have a to-do list a mile long and a basketball game to cover and write the wrap of before I can leave.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, if you haven't gotten my PM, let me know. That function's always been a bit screwy for me.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

And how.

Had a nice little jaunt over to Singapore planned for the 28th ... even had back-to-back days off for the first time in yonks. Of course, then Singapore had to go and lose to Vietnam, so that plan goes right out the window.

As it is, I'll just stay here and plot the untimely demise of more karaoke singers....

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I just have a 80 mile drive to my hometown, and hopefully it's nothing like yesterday, when the road commission apparently eschewed snowplows for Zambonis, so as to put down a fresh layer of ice. Eight cars in the ditch over a 15-mile span.

My brother-in-law put his car into a ditch, too, less than two miles from my parents' house, and it was his own damn fault. It will be a topic of friendly derision on Wednesday night

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I have a 2-hour delay already. The only good thing is, it is from my first airport, so instead of sitting in Vegas for a 4-hour layover, I'm hanging out at home for an extra 2 hours and now will only have a 2-hour layover.

9. jps

jps Active Member

good luck, gola. weather out that way is wild and wacky, my friend.

and was thinking of making a mid-range drive, but weather is saying 'no.' big chunks of many highways and interstates closed. had to clean six inches of new snow off my rig this morning up to my knees in the white stuff. 4x4 is the only reason I got out from the drift that had built up around me, and even that was sketchy. thought I might be walking to work for a few minutes there.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

nothing sweeter than the first cigarette upon landing. hopefully security lines aren't too long.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

and more delays. i hope no one else is flying today.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

My flight out of LAX was delayed four plus hours today. I had to fly into ORD and then connect. The delay made me miss my connection. My outbound had a crew issue as in no captain.

So instead of spending the night in the O'Hare airport and waiting to fly standby, I moved everything to Tuesday and was confirmed all the way home. And, I get compensation. THAT is failing upward.

Draft saved Draft deleted