1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday shopping

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deskgrunt50, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I finished mine today, other than a few little things.

I did it 90 percent online this year. My wife has been going that route for years. Wonders why I’m still in the Stone Age. (She’s not wrong in some aspects).

There are a few things I like to get in person. Either because I can’t order online or I just enjoy the particular in-store experience.

Anyone still mostly in-person shopping, or we all mostly online now?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Done - probably 90 percent online as well. Hit the holiday markets in Union Square and Bryant Park and picked up a few things. Ella's advent calendar (yes, I got my dog an advent calendar) came from Trader Joe's. I got a couple of things at Barnes and Noble.

But almost all of it online and all but two things have been delivered

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I do most of my shopping online. Easier and saves a lot of time. There are some gifts I prefer purchasing in person, but that is on a case-by-case basis.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I go for both types of shopping, and have been split about down the middle this year. I still enjoy in-person shopping more, as I actually like to look at things and browse live. I also actually find that to be faster in most cases, because when I shop online, I can, and will, literally, browse all day long, going back and forth, looking at this and that, all without making decisions, probably because the things are not really "there," if that makes sense.

Take today, for example. I went to a store, spent three hours in there, and finished up all my shopping, save for one person in my big family. And I had an enjoyable time, myself. If I'd shopped online, I'd probably still be staring at my computer screen, still browsing, and might have finally gotten tired of it and just left the shopping undone, with, now, about three (non-work) shopping days left for me to finish.

Online shopping is good if you know exactly what you're wanting and looking for, know how the sizes/brands run, and can see exactly what the colors/styles are going to look like. Otherwise, in-person holiday shopping is better as far as the actual engagement in shopping, while online operations have the delivery aspect down pat. In the end, that's what does it for them, and yes, that part of it is wonderful.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have the SJ Secret Santa added to my list and I'm going to pick my gift up in an actual store this weekend. BUT THEN THAT IS IT, IT I'M TELLING YOU

Draft saved Draft deleted