1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday gift idea: I know NOTHING about women's shoes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Dec 11, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm wearing a pair of these right now:

[​IMG]

Had them for years. Incredibly comfortable.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Except for slippers one time (they were very soft, stretching leather from Coach), I can't buy footwear for my wife -- her feet can be a tough fit and I've watched this excruciatingly long fitting process in a bunch of shoe stores over the years, including even with the Uggs in a little mom-and-pop shoe store. In fact, I won't even buy shoes for myself anymore without trying them on. About five years ago, I dabbled with buying online and I regretted those purchases. If you do buy the Uggs, buy some protective shit to spray on them or you will need to get them professionally cleaned eventually.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Serious question about women's gloves -- is Isotoner the best kind?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stick around.. there will be an UGG thread on the writer's threads any time now...

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

UGGs: For people who want to look as ridiculous as they do in Crocs all year round!

6. Mira

Mira Member

Uggs are the warmest boots out there. They're expensive for a reason. They'll last forever and the quality is well worth the price. The fit and comfort are like bedroom slippers ... that's why they're so popular. Macy's might sell them and upscale, independent shoe stores. You might want to buy one-half or one whole size down. Has your wife tried them on? I typically wear size 6 in a shoe, and buy 5 in an Ugg.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I can't believe you missed all those Ugg bots we had a few weeks ago.

I remember when Rush Limbaugh endorsed them.

8. My wife wants a pair of boots with fur lining the top and little to no heel.
    I have to try to find a decent pair she'll like. Good luck me.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My general rule for holiday gifts (SportsJournalists.com Secret Santa notwithstanding) is to avoid clothing/shoes. The sizing and taste variables are simply more than I want to deal with. (Secret Santa handles this for us; I don't get that service related to gifts I get for others).

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Well, this IS my wife. I know her sizes...and again..she's not a diva. She's very much a beer-drinking, fantasy football-playing, laid-back gal...but she does like girlie things from time to time, especially rings (which she got one for Christmas already), necklaces, and shoes.
    We got a deal on a ring she liked Saturday, so I want her to be able to open something next weekend since she already knows that gift. I guess she said Uggs, but she's not committed to wanting them, it was just a throwaway line I think, but it stuck with me. (See girls, we DO listen! Well...sort of.)
    I'm going to check Macy's and Dillard's today. This should be an adventure.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This has become an issue at my house.
    GF wants Uggs.
    I told her I will not buy them.
    I do not tell her what to wear or what not to wear, but I don't have to buy something that looks so ridiculous.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If women knew how ridiculous they looked while wearing Uggs boots, they certianly would not wear them.

Draft saved Draft deleted