1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday Bonus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Totally Krossed Out, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I was with a small paper and then a small magazine for a total of nine years. Received between $300 and $800 a year in bonus $$$. Now I'm out of sportswriting at a place that's bigger then either of the first two places and got jack schlitz.

There you go, sports fans: Write sports at small shops.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My Christmas bonus was finding out the one hot girl in the office gave her notice. Like I need another reason to hate the holiday season.

3. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Been there. That's a bad beat.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I feel bad typing this, because it seems like nobody got any money but my shop took care of me. I showed up today (I'm at a paper that covers preps and prints 21 times a year) and inside the envelope was my paycheck and 5 $100 bills. Plus, my boss cooked quite possibly the greatest steak I've ever tasted. As much as I bitch about my boss, every Christmas he comes through big time.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

good for you. glad to hear it happens elsewhere, too. and cash, no less. bravo! :) :) :)

my shop continued its wonderful bonus tradition. it used to go up 500 bucks annually but has remained frozen the last two years. believe me, no one complains about that, given the climate in the industry. we're just thrilled with what we've got for as long as we've got it. 8) 8)

best to everyone....

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The kids are appreciative of the cookies... my night is complete...
    Now, if I had a way to get reimbursed, I'd be happy..

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If everyone knew where you worked, I have a feeling people would be PMing you, begging to give them a tip on any possible opening.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

17 years in the biz at the same paper and I ask the same question every year "What's a Christmas/Holiday bonus?" I'm still waiting for my first one.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This can't be true, can it? Damn, that's awesome.
    I'm sure that brought holiday cheer to you and your loved ones.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My last year at the now-defunct Scripps paper, we got brass luggage tags... management had brass of another kind...

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Do not eat the Kentucky Jelly. It's nasty.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The question you need to be asking: "Where's the resume paper?"

Draft saved Draft deleted