1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday Bonus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Totally Krossed Out, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Christmas bonuses have gone away because of the move from smaller, privately owned companies, to bigger conglomerates.

It is hard to rationalize bonuses to the stock holders so companies just don't. Also, the people making the decision don't know any of their workers so it is easy to deny.

For those of you who got a personal gift from your boss, appreciate it because it was most likely coming out of his/her own pocket so even a little something should mean a lot.

I received nothing this year, but I didn't expect anything because by working in higher education, I know that these things aren't possible.

2. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that after-holiday holiday party that conflicts with Friday night conference games. And remember Crimson, if we part our hair nicely and be good little boys, we might get our coupon books again this year, loaded with thousands of dollars of savings, one discounted oil change at a time.

Honestly, I've never expected anything, so in my humble opinion, a rubber chicken dinner and a firm pat on the ass is fine. I'd prefer to get my hair tussled, to be scratched behind the ear, and be told, "Atta boy. Atta good boy," however.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Holiday bonus. What's that?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad. Sometimes I think to myself how, if i had killed a particularly odious boss I once had, I'd be out of prison by now. With mad skillz, no doubt.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I got a ham. Just what every financially-inempt, 23-year0old journalist wants. ...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

$20 gift cards to TARGET here.

(At least it wasn't Goodwill.)

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Twenty-five dollars at a grocery store, $400 (after taxes) bonus.

Life is good.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Nothing. All of my previous papers gave me at least something.

Draft saved Draft deleted