1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

***hole landlords

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, May 31, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you take pictures of everything do you can challenge them?
    Shit, man. Have some fun... fuck with them.. do it for everyone who every fucked with a landlord...

In my last place up north, I got along great with the landlords, even tho they tried to dick me on late fees once (Rent is due on the fifth; lease doesn't say what time on the fifth and if you aren't here when I put it in the drop box, how is that my fault?)
    Only problem had when I moved here and they were late with the deposit (notoriously cheap). After two months of dealing with the apologetic manager, I had an attorney buddy from there send them a gentle letter on my behalf. Had the check within five bidness days.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Many years ago, my asshole landlord dinged my security deposit for carpet cleaning (I had hardwood floors), garage cleaning (there was no garage) and something else I didn't have. When I complained, he got all accusatory. It took the intervention of the building's management office (it was a co-op building) and a legal letter to get the full amount back. I had always been a good tenant, always paid rent on time and otherwise had no problems with the guy. He just turned into a dick when he tried to steal from me.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The landlords in my first apartment were awesome. Turns out I knew the landlords son/nephew/whatever from high school, so me and my roommate never had a problem.

My second apartment was a different story. I lived in an insane asylum with all kinds of crazy-ass people. One guy downstairs tried to start a fucking campfire in his bathtub, almost sending my building up in flames. Thank God the fire department got there fast enough before any damage was done.

Those landlords were ass holes about everything. My AC stopped working sometime in early August when it was still ungodly hot out. I told them about it, they said I would be getting a new AC soon, but that never happened. I still don't know if they replaced it, but for the trouble, I left behind a couch and some other things just for them.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Yeah unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to take pictures when I moved in. I wish I would have done that now though. Ways to fuck with them are definitely running through my mind. I only live a few blocks from them. They go to Arizona usually in the winter time and just leave there cars at the building. I was thinking I might just walk by one night and crack a few eggs on their cars and let them sit like that over night. Of course I'm open to suggestions you fine people might have.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

A/C? What's that? I wasn't allowed to have A/C in my last apartment because they paid the electric bill. And it was an old ass building so the four apartments and their place ran off one box. So you could say, "Whatever the bill goes up I'll give you that amount to cover the A/C" because how do you know if I used $10 and another tennant used $20. But that didn't stop fuckhead landlords from having A/C in their places. Pieces of scum that they are.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This place was too old to have central air, so we all had our own window units. They sucked beyond belief and that's why I wound up staying at the office until 2 in the morning sometimes.

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Worst story ever, well maybe.

I had recently returned to my home city after spending months in Basic Training for the army and needed an apartment/house to live in because my parents where moving out of their house. I had decided it would be a good idea to rent a house from one of my friends from work and split the rent money with his step daughters boyfriend. The step daughters boyfriend we will call Jake. Jake moved into the house first and set up all the utility bills like the phone, gas and electric. Well after about 1 week living in the house Jake just packs up and leaves for Atlanta sticking me with all the bills and full months rent. Jake had made over 200 dollars worth of phone bills and when I tried to switch the service into my name the phone company AT&T told me in order for me to have the phone bill switched into my name I had to pay the remaining balance on his bill and would have to send a copy of my Social Security card along with a deposit of 50 dollars. I laughed and told them I would not do such and thing and called a local phone company to install a phone service over AT&T's lines. This is however is nothing compared to what was about to happen.

When I first moved in it was August and the weather was very nice so I never had to turn on the heat. Well let me tell you I had a real shock come November once the weather turn cold. The 90 year old "oven furnace" did not work properly and I spend countless hours trying to revive the beast but to no avail. I had told my landlord about the problems immediately and he assured me he would fix them ASAP. Well a week went by and he didn't do anything, so for comfort I went to home depot and bought some electric space heaters to stay warm. The next week the weather turn very cold so I asked the landlord to fix the heating system but again he assured me he would send some one over but again no one showed up. About a month went by and now the weather was freezing every night so I went to a local hardware store and bought an new furnace because the old one was clearly a goner. I told the landlord about this and he told me he would not ask for the next few months rent from me and would send some one to install the new furnace. Well, I should have just moved instead because by the time he sent some one over (early March) the weather was much better. The pipes actually froze in mid-January but I thawed them using the space heaters I had bought. Once the new furnace was installed in March the Landlord asked me for the past 3 months due rent. I laughed and told him my electric bill was sky high because he didn't fix/replace the old furnace. In mid April he called me one day and said it was likely he would have to move in with me because he was getting kicked out of his own house by his live in girlfriend. In Early May he moved in and again asked me for the 3 months rent that he felt I owed him when I didn't have any heat. I again laughed and said "are you kidding me". At this point I had become fairly stable in the house and had cable and internet services and one of my other friends as a roommate. Well in August of the following year I had decided I was going to move to another state so I closed all my Utility bills and paid all the balances I had due. Well, after living in my new state for a few months I received a electric bill, phone bill and internet bill all totaling 400 dollars. Apparently when I closed my accounts the owner/landlord called all the utility companies and told them I was not closing my accounts. So I had 2 months of bills on the utilities while living in another state. Well I sent over my utility bills from my new place and the utilities in my old state cut my bills in half but I still owe around 200 dollars. I also received a letter from my landlord threating me with 3 months unpaid rent. I told him to stuff it and never heard another word from him. I did however hear from AT&T because they felt because I was the last one to contact them about Jake's bill that I should pay them for the now 1 1/2 year old phone bill. I called my old landlord and told him he should contact his step daughters ex-boyfriend about this but of course nothing happened. I personally tracked Jake down and called AT&T and gave them his phone number. Needless to say I am very glad I do not have to deal with these people ever again.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Well there is Liberty Medical.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

SC: I had a similar situation in college. Our landlords were a couple that lived not too far away; the guy was nice enough, but the wife was a complete asshole.

We didn't much get along with her, though it was partly our fault for being ignorant college kids. Still, she was a bitch. Constant complaints about how we were violating the lease, etc. I'm sure there was some partial truth to it, but I can't remember being as bad as she painted us.

My mom and gf at the time had come by to visit, can't remember exactly why, but they were there when the landlady dropped by - unannounced. I don't know if it was a law in Pa. or not, but it was specifically in our lease that landlord would contact renters at least 24 hours before coming to the property.

I called her and raised hell. Then she was all nice - oh, let's get together and we'll have a big cookout! It'll be great!

Needless to say, the cookout never happened. We got screwed out of our security deposit, some of which was legit and some was shady. But I was just happy to get the hell away from them.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Landlords for the most part are usually just several levels below Satan himself, but I have a good story.

At my first newspaper job I lived in an apartment building that used to be an old house. All my utilities were paid for and my rent was only $400. Great apartment and only a few blocks from work. Unfortunately the lady that lived there before me was very timid and would never tell my landlord if something stopped working or was broken. The first night I moved in I decided to see if my stove worked. Only one burner did and when I turned on the oven all kinds of smoke started coming out. I called my landlord and she had a brand new stove in there the next day. Two days later I went shopping and bought pork chops, chicken, hamburger.....in bulk that needed to be frozen. I put the stuff in the freezer and went out to run a few errands. When I came back I opened the freezer and it looked like I had just put the stuff in. I called my landlord and had a new fridge there later that day. When spring rolled around she bought me an A/C that was powerful enough to cool off my entire place. I didn't turn that thing off for two months and never a word from her. Then when I moved out she came over, took a look around and wrote me a check for my full security deposit. Oh how I miss her.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Supposedly, they left a note yesterday. I didn't have one on my door though. They've been really good up till now, but this was the actual owner and not the managment company.

My parents were landlords and I've always tried to get along really well with mine, but I might make an exception here.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My advice, FWIW, SC (and my dad is also a landlord) -- be cordial but send the letter letting them know you expect confirmation of 24 hours notice before entering the property.

It's good to have that stuff on record.

Draft saved Draft deleted