1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hole in the walls, New Orleans style

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Apr 30, 2012.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Looking for, as the title says, hole in the walls in New Orleans. Good food, good live music, good cross section of people, good vibe -- or any combination thereof. I know most of the tourist spots in the Quarter, so I'm looking for places that the locals know about that the tourists might not. Needs to be a not ungodly expensive cab ride from the Quarter, though, because that's where we're staying.

We? The former Miss L and I. We're spending this week in the Big Easy. We got married Saturday. (Now how's that for burying the lede?)

Joe

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. Congrats!

Not sure if it's considered the kind of hole in the wall place you're talking about, but Port of Call is a great spot just on the edge of the quarter. Best burger I've ever had. Wash it down with a Monsoon.

What I really want to know is if you got a WOD in on the day of the wedding. I'm gonna go ahead and guess yes. :)

3. I thought this was gonna be a gloryhole thread.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It may yet be. 8)

5. John

John Well-Known Member

http://www.bacchanalwine.com/

It's a wine shop that does food and music in its backyard each evening.

I'm headed to New Orleans on Wednesday for the final weekend of Jazz Fest and I'm sure I'll visit Bacchanal at least once.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"The groom looked dashing in his leather pants."

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Joe, let me write my friend who's in NO as we speak and knows it like the back of her hand. I'll report back.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'd like to take Bach Anal Wine for 700, Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Jacques-Imo's Cafe, Drago's, Arnaud's and Impastato's are some of my favorite more upscale restaurants.

If you're looking for good, somewhat cheaper New Orleans fare, try Deanie's, Ralph & Kacoo's, Maspero's or Cafe Amelie.

Most of the second ground are right in the French Quarter, most of the first group are in different spots around the city.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Drago's is awesome. It's inside the Hilton or Sheraton or whatever right along the water. Get the grilled oysters.

11. They also have a location in Metairie, a few blocks off Lake Pontchartrain. I haven't been to the one inside the Hilton, myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Joe, this is from my friend:

Parasol's in the Irish Channel for roast beef po boys; Frankie and Johnny's; Butcher and NOLA Grocery in the Warehouse District; a muffaletta to go at Central Grocery. Are they going to Jazz Fest? The food there is GREAT.

Draft saved Draft deleted